• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix Flame thrower 3 Shaft breakage

Houle #382

Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm running the Pertronix Flame Thrower 3 distributor and wondering if anyone else is having the same issues as I am. I have broken the for the second time the distributor shaft right at the break point and I wasn't even going 20 mph I just pulled out of my driveway. I'm starting to wonder if the oil pump gear might be the issue. I'm running the Hughes Engine 1045 Steel shaft treated gear in my 440 which I have a Competiton Components Hydraulic Roller cam. As I stated this is the second shaft to break the first one broke and I was only going 35 mph. Hughes Engine has stated that this gear can be used with any cam. Going back to my Mopar distributor for sure and possibly a bronze gear

I remember another thread on here about the same issue. Was that you or someone else? At this point I would go with a Petronix Ignitor III conversion in a factory distributor. Did they warranty the first one?

It was me, one thing I can say about Pertronix as they do stand behind their products as they did warranty the first one that broke. Going with the Conversion for the Mopar distributor is probably the way to go as I feel they have a heat treating issue with their distributor shafts but I haven't seen anyone else with this issue.

I've never even heard of a shaft breaking until your first thread. Two broke shafts? There wouldn't be third. Their Ignitors are very good though. I have one in each of my cars. Conversions.

Rare to break one shaft, but two.....
It must be overloaded. I would check:
- there is some play between the shaft gear & cam gear
- the shaft turns freely in the bronze bush in the block
- there is not a tight spot in the oil pump when it rotates.

like I've mentioned before. I've run into the distributor hole not in alignment with the intermediate pump shaft causing distributer shaft bearings to ware out. and if the alignment too far off it can cause the shaft to snap. Loosen the hold down clamp when the engine is idling, and if shakes bad. The alignment is off.

I've never even heard of a shaft breaking until your first thread. Two broke shafts? There wouldn't be third. Their Ignitors are very good though. I have one in each of my cars. Conversions.
I tried to start a personnel conversation but my box is full and I can't figure out how to empty it. My question to you is did you have the mopar electronic distributor in your GTX before you did the conversion kit. I now have the Pertronix 3 conversion kit but can't get it installed because the vacuum pod won't line up with the hole in the new plate. It seems like the hole is to far towards the outside edge of the plate.

I used a points distributor, not a Mopar electronic distributor.

I used a points distributor, not a Mopar electronic distributor.
OK the plates are different for the electronic distributor. Just got off the phone with Pertronix they are going to make good on it but the problem is they don't make a flame thrower 3 for my distributor number only a 2. So do I go with a 2 or try another whole distributor which I'm getting really gun shy on. One guy posted he broke a shaft and the piece that broke actually fell down inside his engine which resulted in a tare down. Was at a buddies shop last night and we tested the hardness of the Pertronix shaft and the Mopar shaft. The Pertronix shaft tested at 56 rockwell and the Mopar shaft tested at 6 rockwell a huge difference in hardness. The Pertronix shaft just might be to hard. ( brittle ) I let the tech know of our findings on the hardness.

Sounds like Pert made the mistake of using very hard steel that does not flex. Ever try flexing a drill bit? Hence the 56 reading.

The shafts should be made out of hard steel, not hardened, which can be cut with a saw or drilled. Another reason not to buy Pert rubbish.

Auto Transport Service
Back