• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pic Request: 1971 383HP with Factory Holley

Archie340

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
Acquired a production model Holley 4668A for a 71 383HP Automatic. Anyone happen to have a pic handy of a factory holley mounted on a motor that might include the fuel line, choke etc. I'm having problems finding one.
carb.jpg
carb2.jpg

I'm considering rebuilding it and swaping out the Carter AVS 6125 on my 71 Charger. It's appears to be in nice shape and for forty bucks I couldn't resist. From what I've read these carbs have a reputation and not a good one. Thanks

Archie,
The Holley R4668 is a very good carb, rated at 750cfm at 1.5" pressure drop.(note the secondary down leg booster venturi). This carb is 50 states for '71, and uses the vapor vent nipple on the primary fuel bowl. Notice on the linkage side is a small rectangular plate. Behind this plate is the bi-metallic HOT IDLE COMPENSATOR VALVE. This carb is used on cars with factory A/C. Its function is an air bleed to overcome a rich idle condition because of significantly higher under hood temps due to the A/C . Note that this carb has the backward idle mix system....the screws are turned in to richen the mix...they are air bleeds; the fuel is a fixed orifice and is non adjustable. '71 also used the distributor retard system using an insulated hot idle adjusting screw. The distributor was retarded an additional 5 degrees to provide "better" CO and NOx control.....this system usually resulted in hard to start conditions after a hot soak.
The carb has 0.064" primary jets (#64) on the jet. I always bumped them to #66 + eliminated the distributor retard function and recurved the distributor for a faster advance. The choke is a divorced type mounted in a stainless steel cup in the crossover. The fuel line is simple and is available from FineLines or their competitor. DO NOT USE COPPER TUBING but only steel tubing with a double flair connection to the carb.....copper will ultimately fail due to vibration. Everybody wants to go to the Carter/Edlebrock carb....not sure why.....in my opinion the Holley is better plus it flows more air.
PM if you want to discuss the why's and wherefore's.....there are too many carb "experts" that usually do not have a clue as to how a carb works.....but think they do.....caviet emptor...
Cheers,
RJ Renton

Thanks for the very informative reply. I was fortunate to so easily locate the numbers correct carb for my application. From what I understand these carbs are hard to find and many were junked years ago. Should be an easy rebuild. Just looking at it, the throttle bores and plates are clean and show zero usage. Looks to have been rebuilt and put away. I will probably have some questions for ya once I get started on it. I found the fuel line and am looking for a choke. I see lots of chokes for carters but not much for 4bl holley's.

Archie,
Thank you for the compliment....FYI..yes I am an electrical engineer, and also a teacher. In another lifetime, I was a maintenance supertendent, reporting to the plant manager, of a large chemicial plant. My job was responsible for maintaining the entire plant by supervising all maintenance activities from pulling weeds and cutting the grass to the steam plant to all processing equipment and associated material handling equipment (four 50 ton overhead cranes, to fork trucks, to the 84 ton short line railroad). I had 5 foremen and 70 hourly employees (welders, millwrights, electricians, pipefitters, laborers) that reported to me, plus all operating and equipment budgets, plus maintaining a store room to insure parts availability
to keep the plant operating. Not to brag about myself but I had to know alot about many many pieces of machinery, how they worked, how to repair them when they did not, and to instruct the people that worked for me how to make repairs to everything in a safe and effective manner. Mopars are my hobby....
Cheers,
RJ Renton

Quick question, would you happen to know the float height for one of these? There's no sight plug and no instructions/specs included in the kit. I'm kind off at a stand still at the moment. Thanks

Found the info in a 1971 technical service bulletin

Auto Transport Service
Back