• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pickup truck trading opinion?

Leduc'sMopars

Local time
6:40 AM
Reaction score
I can't decide what to do, keep my 96 f250 xlt with a 7.5 it has 128,000 on it that or trade it for a 95 ram 3500 slt dually with the 8.0 v10 with 94,000 miles. Both are going to be gas hogs either way, both have rebuilt transmissions and both are nicely optioned but the only thing making me think so hard is that the dodge is 2 wheel drive and mine is a 4x4. I love the look of the dodge but where I live all the 94-02 rams always rot out. Just throwing it out there seeing what you guys would do or if you have any advice. Thanks!
downsized_1208121349a.jpgdodge ram v10.jpg

I'm a diehard dodge truck guy,but given the choice i would keep the ford [if the ram was a cummins] i would say go for it, but your ford looks cleaner and it's an extra cab. I would keep it and keep looking.

I don't like Ford's but yours is decient and you can plow with it maybe the dodge to but I'd keep the ford you don't know what is hidden on the dodge sorry

That v10 is a pig. Duallys are pigs. That's a v10 dually. Keep looking. Cummins.

X2, Cummins is much better idea, the Dodge 3500 1 ton Dually is better than the F250, except for the 4x4 part, I prefer 4x4's over 2wds...

X3. Cummins diesel is the way to go. If you're really hardcore, find a Cummins with a manual tranny. Most bad *** truck I've ever driven.

Keep the Ford for now till you find a Dodge with a Cummins an 4wd.

go hunt down a GMC sierra 2500. i bought mine brand new in 2003 and i SWEAR its never been in the shop. gas,oil,tires,wipers,brakes....thats all i ever put in it.no rust...and i dont wash the damn thing...well maybe i washed it 3 times in 10 years and thats no lie .

...but given the choice...id take the dodge

Given the choice I think I'd be better off keeping the ford for now and holding off to find a decent 4x4 cummins. I like the pre super duty ford body style but like pabster said a manual cummins would be the best bet in the end. I'm thinking put a small lift in my truck do some touch up paint and drive and plow with it for a couple of years then make the jump to a dodge, a 12v with a 5 speed would be great just need to find a good chassis that isn't rotted to death which is the hard part around here. Thanks for all your input guys!

I have a similar thread going but yours is easier to conclude. Looks like I'm a bit late but I'll say keep the Ford. And like Eagle said, the Ford is a known entity.

The diesel angle may not be the best. For some stupid reason diesel fuel is more expensive than gas even though it's lower on the tower (like I said, stupid!). The mileage difference between a gas and diesel truck is maybe 10 MPG, and factoring that in with the cost of the fuel, the cost per mile is about the same. Not to mention you may pay more for the diesel option. If you plan to really work the truck a diesel will be the better choice, but for occasional duty I'd probably stick with gas, at least until the diesel prices come down (and I'm not holding my breath).

Yep 90's Cummins 4x4, standard if you can find it. Best bang for the buck truck you'll find, Cummins engine will last forever. Add the fuel savings up 8 or 18 mpg huge, those first 2 engines are pigs.

Auto Transport Service
Back