• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from Back in the Day

This guy however made sure to get rid of his welfare wheels, and tossed the dork dishes as far as he could, and look what he able to get :bananadance:

CF4B822F-F18A-4B10-A735-D232ACA6B0E4.jpeg

I was just kidding about the Challenger. That car is known as El Hemi. It had torque thrust wheels put on it soon after being bought new. They also put a T/A hood on the car.

This guy however made sure to get rid of his welfare wheels, and tossed the dork dishes as far as he could, and look what he able to get :bananadance:

View attachment 1628503
Back then mag wheels mattered! Nobody would be seen with skinny whitewall tires and dork dish hubcaps on their muscle cars! We had an image to maintain! Now that the guys who own these cars are all geezer grandfathers they seem to want to make their muscle cars look like their own grandfathers 63 Valiant! I don't understand why someone would ever want a muscle car to look slow and geeky!

Back then mag wheels mattered! Nobody would be seen with skinny whitewall tires and dork dish hubcaps on their muscle cars! We had an image to maintain! Now that the guys who own these cars are all geezer grandfathers they seem to want to make their muscle cars look like their own grandfathers 63 Valiant! I don't understand why someone would ever want a muscle car to look slow and geeky!
Maybe a sleeper?

First picture, car from Ontario. Where is the strip?
It might have been Golden Horseshoe in Toronto. This track was only in operation for a few years, right around 1970. I was there once with a friend that raced a 1969 428 Torino. John Petrie's 'Cuda is to the left. He was sponsored by Argyle Chrysler in Toronto. This track likely got swallowed up by Hwy. 401 or 407 expansion.
Or, it could have been Cayuga Dragstrip, southwest of Toronto, off Hwy. 3. A strip that opened around 1955, and is still running today. With its proximity to Fort Erie/Buffalo, it was a popular track for racers from New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

SLEEPER most of the fat wheeled cars were dogs it was a look jacked up fatties on the back .

It might have been Golden Horseshoe in Toronto. This track was only in operation for a few years, right around 1970. I was there once with a friend that raced a 1969 428 Torino. John Petrie's 'Cuda is to the left. He was sponsored by Argyle Chrysler in Toronto. This track likely got swallowed up by Hwy. 401 or 407 expansion.
Or, it could have been Cayuga Dragstrip, southwest of Toronto, off Hwy. 3. A strip that opened around 1955, and is still running today. With its proximity to Fort Erie/Buffalo, it was a popular track for racers from New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
What about….Suuuunday…Niaaaaagra. Niagara Dragstrip. Used to go there when I lived in Buffalo.

Maybe a sleeper?
Who are you foolin in a purple 70 Road runner with dust trail stripes,an air grabber hood with 440+6 callouts and chrome dual exhaust tips! Or a Hemi orange Charger R/T with a black tailstripe? No it's not the sleeper look they are going for. A sleeper looks inconspicuous and unassuming throughout the whole car.

SLEEPER most of the fat wheeled cars were dogs it was a look jacked up fatties on the back .
I beat a 70 Buick GS stage 1 because his skinny tires wouldn't hook up. I had him by several car lenghts and was about to back off when I didn't see his headlights behind me anymore,thats because they were at my passengers door. I nipped him by a fender. If that car would have hooked up, I would have been looking at his taillights!

Right after high school I met a guy in the next neighborhood over that built 60's fords.
Always painted in a single stage military inspired color (olive green or Navy blue, etc) with bare steel wheels and the widest whitewall tires available.

Those were true sleepers.

One of them though, had the Navy air star marking over the quarter wrapping onto the trunk.
That was an eye catcher and made you go "huh?".

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back