• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PICTURE NOT YET SEEN.

Trial and Errors from back in the day....
My home track was Alton Illinois 1/4 mile drag strip (St Louis Suburb on the Illinois side of the river) That track, as well as all the others did NOT enforce the 7" rear slick tread width limit on their normal weekend races. I had a set of Positraction ReCaps that were 10" wide (probably weighed about 40lbs each). My typical ET for the 1/4 mile with those tires was around 12.35, way off the National Record of 12.15. I then went to INDY for the NHRA Nationals and I had to run 7" tires at that race...so I bought a pair of Goodyear Blue Streak Wrinkle Wall Slicks (I remember they cost $92 for the pair because I had to round up money from my pals that came with me). We mounted them up on 15x6 Steel Wheels and screwed the tires to the rims. We aired them up to about 6-7 lbs and my first run was 12.19..I couldn't believe it...I learned a lesson that the GOOD and LIGHTWEIGHT tires were the benefit over my real wide and heavy crappy recaps.
LOL, I think the first pair of slicks I bought were from JCPenny; kid you not.

Auto Transport Service
Back