• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PIE CRUST SLICKS

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
Any one running pie crust type cheater slicks? Pics?

Yep, only way to go in my opinion. First/second pics are prior to me restoring it but you can see the look. now it’s being put back together and I’m using the same slicks but with chromed mopar steelies, third pic. I use Radirs as they are one of the only cheater slicks that aren’t recaps.

IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_4172.jpeg

The guys selling recaps are sure proud of them, as expensive as a new tire. Good to know on the Radirs.
Back in the early 60's we use to buy recapped cheater slicks from a local recapper for about $15ea. Of course recap tires were still an option then anyway.

I see Radir doesn't post their prices, must be very proud also. And they only make with whitewalls according to what I read.

I see Radir doesn't post their prices, must be very proud also. And they only make with whitewalls according to what I read.
Yes they all come with white walls I think. I just turned them in. I think mine were about $500 per tire about 5 years ago when I got them.

The guys selling recaps are sure proud of them, as expensive as a new tire. Good to know on the Radirs.
Back in the early 60's we use to buy recapped cheater slicks from a local recapper for about $15ea. Of course recap tires were still an option then anyway.
Lemme guess.... Caldwell recaps, out of Pasadena? A friend was running mid elevens with a small block Vega on Caldwell recaps in the late seventies.
Street racing legend, at the time.

Lemme guess.... Caldwell recaps, out of Pasadena? A friend was running mid elevens with a small block Vega on Caldwell recaps in the late seventies.
Street racing legend, at the time.
Can't recall now. Small shop, recappers were fairly common back then. They usually blew out after about 10-thousand miles, maybe less?

I was trying to find a set of these in Canada. Couldn't find any Firestone branded versions. Who else offers them?

Can't find the piecrusts in the Speedway paper catalog. Try their website. They had new stones, not recaps.

I had new M/T 820-15's on my '56 F100...from Coker Tire

Im not running pie crusts...but if I were....
I'd run something fairly narrow (maybe not pizza cutters) but something nostalgic, like a ten spoke, with the tallest tire that will clear the fender and not rub.
(I'm running the ten spokes, 15x4, with Firestone F500 (that might not be right, but they ARE stones)on the front of my solid front axle Opel.)

Saw a set today of old school pie crusts on an old 50s homemade dragster.
It had a cut up Morris Minor body and an Olds V8 with 6 two barrels.
Of course, my phone quit on me.

You can see the threads of the tire that was retreaded in the pie crusts.

That seems safe, and completely insane.

I acquired a pair of used pie crust recaps mounted on Chrome reverses back in the day. My buddy had just purchased a brand new 69 RR. He convinced me to
loan him the slicks for the weekend. Well one of them chucked the cap....It wasn't pretty!!!

I acquired a pair of used pie crust recaps mounted on Chrome reverses back in the day. My buddy had just purchased a brand new 69 RR. He convinced me to
loan him the slicks for the weekend. Well one of them chucked the cap....It wasn't pretty!!!
I think the caps on Towel's tires are on NEW casings, not old used ones, like caps used to be. And last I looked, the Towels were about half as much as the all-new non-cap Firestones.

love the front tires ! i might go alittle wider for the highway ? got the same wheels , are they radials or bias? coker has both !! thanks ed

Auto Transport Service
Back