• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piecing together an aftermarket A/C setup?

ChargerST

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
I want to add A/C again to my factory air 1970 Charger (was removed by a previous owner) and have some questions:

I plan on building a custom setup and the only parts I already have is the original A/C heater box and a NIB SD7H15 genuine Sanden compressor. So I still need a condenser and I know that I should use the largest I can fit.

What size is the radiator opening on a 1970 Charger with a 26" radiator (car is in storage and can't measure myself)?

Is a parallel flow still the best condenser type to use?

The ports on the compressor are 7/8 threads - how critical is it to match that to the fittings, hard lines etc? Most condensers have smaller ports. Or should I try to get everything the same size (is a smaller port/fitting an unwanted restriction?)?
Some OEMs have condenser outlets as small as 5/16..

What about condensers with integrated dryers? Any advantage on having a separate dryer?

Thermal expansion valve (TXV): any suggestions for that part? Vintage air has electronic valves iirc - can these be fitted to a custom setup easily as I read that they are superior over TXV...

I might have to use an R134a replacement refrigerant - which non flammable would you use? R513a?

Thanks!

Vintage Air has a complete system to upgrade your 1970 Charger. There is a kit for cars that already had factory air, as yours, and another for cars that did not. They have a website that shows all their products. Tech help is also available.

Replace it all with a new kit and it will work like it should. I speak from experience.

100_0093.JPG

Thanks, I know about the kit and I consider it as a last resort. Reason for my question is that I want to have parts I can source locally should something fail (I live in Europe!) and cost as well. I should be able to make this happen for less than a 1000 bucks. If I have to import the whole kit from the US that adds around 800 to 900 dollars for shipping, customs, and taxes on top.

Auto Transport Service
Back