• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion Angle with Caltracs

padam

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
I will be installing Caltracs soon. This is a 4 speed car with super stock springs.

I think the spec was 5 to 7 degrees nose down with a pinion snubber.
I would think there would be less axle rotation with the Caltracs.

Should I shoot for the same 5 to 7 degrees?

My max wedge is set up that way as well with Cal tracks and SS springs. Works well now for almost 20 years. ruffcut

NO!. according to calvert no more than 2 degrees. similar to a ladder bar set-up. im sure someone will dispute me but that's what they told me. my car had 7 degrees with 02-03 s/s springs. i had to put 5 degree shims in it to get it too 2 degrees.

Some people do not understand zero degrees means angle the same front to rear ujoint
with no windup 2 degrees should be lots with just leaf springs you get wind up so need more

It depends on how much power you are making and the separation you have down track. We did 4° down at rest and it had been perfect.

Calvert told me to shoot for 2° If you’re running their standard baseline preload in the bars. Less preload may require slightly more pinion angle.

I have SS 02/03 springs in my Duster race car. Pinion angle is 5* nose down. I have Competition Slide a links. I set the left to zero preload. The pass side to 1 turn preload. I have Viking double adjustable rear shocks. Traction is pretty good but I still need to do some fine tuning. I was told by a few guys that I shouldn’t use Slide a Links and SS springs together as they each work the opposite way. Kim

I have SS 02/03 springs in my Duster race car. Pinion angle is 5* nose down. I have Competition Slide a links. I set the left to zero preload. The pass side to 1 turn preload. I have Viking double adjustable rear shocks. Traction is pretty good but I still need to do some fine tuning. I was told by a few guys that I shouldn’t use Slide a Links and SS springs together as they each work the opposite way. Kim
We tried Cal-tracs and SS springs. Did NOT play well together. Installed their split mono's and they work great!

We tried Cal-tracs and SS springs. Did NOT play well together. Installed their split mono's and they work great!
Multiple posts on this forum say they work together or won't work together.
I'm trying first with the springs I have.
They are old springs, so high quality.
I am making a bunch of changes, but not as many as I would like. Got a late start.

I have yet to make it to the track since doing massive multiple upgrades, especially in the traction department to my Roadrunner.
But
I needed to replace my worn out factory leaf springs, and I went with Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders, but Assassin traction bars. Triple adjustable Viking Warrior XS (eXtreme Street) rear shocks, double adjustable Warriors up front.
How important is it to disconnect the front sway bar at the track?
For now, my last run was low 13s with a 2+ second 60 ft, but that was before all the additions, and coming off the line at idle and then stomping it (otherwise I just ignited the tires).
I have a 572 in the works, but I hope to get to the track soon.
Thanks for any advice that could help me and the OP.

Mine is 5 down with my super stock springs. Then I added the competition engineering slide a links and Viking double adjustable rear shocks. Still have the factory 360 T bars and shocks up front. I hear it’s not the best way to do that. It works pretty good with a 1.451 sixty foot. Kim

Not that important to remove or disable ft. sway
bar.= For many years we had to have them connected
and we still went 10 seconds/1.3 @ 60 with our stock
elim 340s. It does help to remove but it is not a bunch!

It does save a few pounds to remove the bar BUT it
will make your car handle like a old 60's Pickup truck

It does save a few pounds to remove the bar BUT it
will make your car handle like a old 60's Pickup truck
I wasn't asking for weight reasons but so as to not hamper front end rise. I have so many other things to adjust, triple adjustable rear and double adjustable front Viking shocks and my Assassin traction bars, and my HitMaster Launch Control for my 855 5 speed, if in the low13s high 12s its not critical, I'll keep it hooked up.

Auto Transport Service
Back