• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion nut torque

old guys rule

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Would someone out there tell me exactly how they go about torquing (twerking)?

the opinion nut without a special tool. Thanks, Dave

You need tools to torque a pinion nut. Nobody can do it with their bare hands.

You need tools to torque a pinion nut. Nobody can do it with their bare hands.
I find it weird because the torque spec is inch pounds. I know that there are homemade tools for it but can't remember how they made them. Not sure where I would buy one new. Anyone know, either way.a

I think the nut torque is around 240 /ft lbs the rotational torque is about 23 inch /lbs for a new bearing 15 inch/lbs for a used bearing
Turning torque meter

TM.JPG

Last edited:
And you will need a big pipe wrench or a tool like I have to hold the yoke whilst cranking to 240 ft. lbs.

20240524_171333.jpg

Once you get used to the feel of rotational torque you can sneak up on it with the impact gun. Tighten a bit, rotate for feel, tighten check and so on. Did many like this in my dealership days. Got to the point where nothing was measured. All by feel.
Doug

Here is what I made for torquing the pinion nut. Made from spare angle iron. Bolts to the pinion flanges. That’s the pinion nut and socket for it in between the forks. No problem holding it from turning.

IMG_0671.jpeg

Would someone out there tell me exactly how they go about torquing (twerking)?

the opinion nut without a special tool. Thanks, Dave
As mentioned, you need something to hold the pinion while you tighten the nut, also the torque spec if you have a collapsable sleeve for preload is a minimum spec, you may have to tighten it tighter to collapse the sleeve and get proper preload.

I had a few customers of mine that set up the pinions with a 1/2" impact. They would blip the trigger, check for play in and out and if there was none, then go for the preload which will give you the drag. They were fun to watch. Years of experience.

Sounds to me like you need a service manual first.

Auto Transport Service
Back