• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pittman arm

Sadie_the_66

Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
I am redoing some of the front end in my 66 sat, and when I went to put on the pittman arm I purchased from classic industries, the sector shaft didn't fit over the steering box as it was too small. I sent that one back and just purchased one for a b body from Mancini racing. When I received it the box said it was for an E body. I am wondering if the pittman arms are interchangeable between the different cars. Side note, when the pittman arm from classic industries didn't fit, I called them and they said it was 1 1/16" sector shaft size. I understand that the sector shafts come in 1 1/8" and 1 1/4", so I have no idea why they would sell that for a b body if it is just wrong. Hopefully the Mancini one is the right size. The one originally on the car was strait with an up and down curve, the one I got from classic was also strait with an up and down curve. The one from Mancini goes up and down but it also has a kind of banana curve to it also and I don't know if it would change the steering geometry unless the splines are offset some way.

Have checked the P/N on the packaging against their website? You may have received the 'quick ratio' arm.
Pretty sure NAPA sells the stock spec'd one...for less $$$.

I'm going through the same thing with my 66 Belvedere. From what I have learned there are 2 available for a 66. Oreilly offers a 32 spline, 1 1/8 sector shaft, 5 1/4" center to center length. There is a fast ratio 36 spline, 1 1/8 sector shaft, 7 1/4" center to center. I looked up other b body years and the length changes quite a bit but the spline count is either 32 or 36. There is also the 1 1/4 sector steering gear but I haven't found that in a b body. Good luck with your search.
Jerry

Auto Transport Service
Back