• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Plastic grill repair

Do it like the pros do!

244407F1-7B2E-4693-87A2-D2E5446C6B87.png

Regular JB did a good job on the mounting lugs that were broken off on my grill, but a couple of them slipped even after I had them carefully positioned and they had tacked. They only moved about 1/16". Just enough to piss me off but still be functional. Fortunately can't see them. Color is real close to factory unpainted areas, too.

I’ve used a product called Plast-Aid and fixed many 69 Barracuda grills without using any reinforcement. It’s a 2 part product that consists of a powder and a solvent that you mix. It’s pricey but it makes the repair stronger than the base material. I’ve actually repaired missing sections with it. The only issue that I have with it is that they don’t give you enough solvent for the amount of powder that they supply. I usually use a glass eye dropper to dispense the solvent. The material cures quickly and is hard so I’ve had to finish the repair using a file or Drexel tool. I’ve also found that it’s best to bevel both sides of crack when making the repair.

One more thing to add, one of things that make the ‘69 grills crack is that they shrink over time so I always drilled out any holes to provide more clearance for the mounting studs.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back