• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help me figure out how to install these trim pieces!

67charger440

Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score

Please click on link and help me figure out how to install these trim piece clips for the top of doors and fenders!

Thanks.

I've never seen the reproduction clips work well.
But, they go in like you said, push the pin in(if it will go..) and the the moulding just snaps on. Each end of the door has a stud-nut clip.

If you can't get the pin in, you can use a blue butt connector.
Many people opt for the metal aftermarket stud and nut clips.
Downside is you have to screw them on from inside the door. Fenders not so bad.

Thanks for taking time to try and help someone else, nice job, kinda reminds me of the trim on my 66 Satellite.

What's the trick to safely get them off without messing up the paint. I want to pull my Sat trim for ding repair and polish.

What's the trick to safely get them off without messing up the paint. I want to pull my Sat trim for ding repair and polish.
They are like 66-7 Charger. Charger door has stud on each end that has to be unbolted. If they are original, you should be able to start lifting at either end gently. You come off. Sometimes I might help persuade it with a synthetic trim removal tool. I cushion it against the painted surface with something thin like a bicycle tube. You might have a stud at the back of the front fender, maybe near the front, then should lift off.
The quarter trim might be the same, it attaches differently from the Charger. I would start at the front and gently work my way back. Patience!!
I HAVE NEVER done this on a Satellite.

What about the end connectors that are the bolt design? They are put on the trim prior to attachment. Yes?
Yes. They usually stay in there unless someone purposely removed them.

Thanks for the info. Especially where to get the right kit. I just bought the wrong ones. Thanks again.
Yeah. These guys seem to sell the these clips that match the best to the original ones. Side Trim Clip Set 1966-67 Charger, Molding Clip Sets, 132-STCS159 Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts

Also take a look at the 1966 Charger Hemi supplement book. It shows the clip placement and the end areas of the trim use a "bolt" to attach and slides on first.

I.just had all the trim off mine.
Fender mldg has a stud and nut design on the back end.
Same for the door and rear quarter trim.
I have spare plastic clips. I cut a few of them off from inside the trunk to allow some movement.
Then took a windshield glass tool. Slipped it under the mldg and slightly spread the mldg till it came off.

Worked like a charm.
Windshield Removal Tool

Please click on link and help me figure out how to install these trim piece clips for the top of doors and fenders!

Thanks.

It's simple. Just insert the plastic nibs into the hole. Then take the solid round barrel place in hole then using a tiny but firm hammer, I used a Nylon head hammer and place the back of two fingers on each side of clips.I used fingers holding the round piece to drive the barrel into the hole. It takes a little persuasion but be firm and gentle not to hit the paint that's why I turn my fingers toward me. Once you get the Round pieces driven in the holes the moulding will snap onto the clips! Carefully, so maybe use layers of paint tape, so if the moulding slips or tapping on plastic Barrels. Otherwise your paint job will suffer as well your patience! Mine came out fine this is the third time, I have removed and reinstalled the mouldings. It might sound complicated however I found using fingers as a back board, if you will? It prevents over striking. It takes three strikes to drive that Barrel Plastic pieces into the hole of the clip. When I snap on the moulding, I kinda rolled it from one side to the other then used my hand to gently smack it on! Also you have a Butterfly type clip that uses a nut two one on front and rear of each moulding. The mouldings Snap on as strange as that sounds. Be careful!

DSC_3631.JPG

DSC_3630.JPG

DSC_3628.JPG

DSC_3627.JPG

It's simple. Just insert the plastic nibs into the hole. Then take the solid round barrel place in hole then using a tiny but firm hammer, I used a Nylon head hammer and place the back of two fingers on each side of clips.I used fingers holding the round piece to drive the barrel into the hole. It takes a little persuasion but be firm and gentle not to hit the paint that's why I turn my fingers toward me. Once you get the Round pieces driven in the holes the moulding will snap onto the clips! Carefully, so maybe use layers of paint tape, so if the moulding slips or tapping on plastic Barrels. Otherwise your paint job will suffer as well your patience! Mine came out fine this is the third time, I have removed and reinstalled the mouldings. It might sound complicated however I found using fingers as a back board, if you will? It prevents over striking. It takes three strikes to drive that Barrel Plastic pieces into the hole of the clip. When I snap on the moulding, I kinda rolled it from one side to the other then used my hand to gently smack it on! Also you have a Butterfly type clip that uses a nut two one on front and rear of each moulding. The mouldings Snap on as strange as that sounds. Be careful!

View attachment 1392107

View attachment 1392108

View attachment 1392109

View attachment 1392110
Thank you very much sir!

I think you just messaged me about your cluster, I can help you with the trim question. Pm me or call me to discuss. Todd @ FB Todds Restorations

Auto Transport Service
Back