• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please share screw removal tips to avoid cracking sidemarker lenses

Coelacanth

Local time
1:46 PM
Reaction score
Please share your tips to remove oxidized screws like these from sidemarkers to avoid having the plastic lens mounting posts crack! I've unscrewed these before only to have the posts crack. Obviously you can buy repro lenses but it would be nice to reuse originals if possible. Maybe squirt some WD-40 or PB Blaster around the screws and let them sit for 24h?

Sidemarker.JPG

My 1st thought is take a soldering iron and lightly heat the head of the screw and back it out while warm

You could carefully grind the heads off the screws to separate the lenses from the housings and then use penetrating oil and vise grips to slowly work the remaining screw shafts out

I agree with using heat to "Soften" the plastic around the screws. There's a fine line between
soften and melt! Be careful, should work!

Maybe a little heat from one of those hot air blow guns?
Taking it slow and lubricating after backing out the screws 1/4 of a turn may help also.

Auto Transport Service
Back