• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

plugs in water pump

Cornpatch MO

Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
440 engine. I am not useing a heater and so no heater hoses. I see some people run a short hose loop from 1 hose barb to the other in the water pump. I would rather not do that. Couldn't I just plug the holes in the water pump with brass plugs? any problems with doing that?........................MO

No problem with doing that. I would say what you have seen is others who just don't want to put in the extra effort you described.

Stock water pump housing? The original nipples can be a bear to get out but using plugs is WAY much better looking. That hose loop tells me that someone just doesn't know or like Dako said....don't want to put in the effort to do it right....or it's going to be temporary.

Just put the plugs in mine
3/8 pipe aeroquip set of 2 was 4 bucks

i6206.jpgjust plug em.

Hey guys I was just thinking of doing this, BUT: I have an A/C car (1970 RR) which has not only the 2 heater hoses but an extra water hose that runs in and out of the firewall on the engine side. This appears to be part of the A/C - which possibly uses hot water from the engine???? If I take off my heater hoses will my A/C still work? That extra hose must be there for SOME reason!

Thanks

I bought some hose caps at NAPA years ago when I took the heater out of the Belvedere. Work great on the 440, easy, and no problems at all.

a trip to you local hard ware store for some pipe plugs will set you right up. a little heat and a good pipe wrench and the old nipples will come out.

Hey guys I was just thinking of doing this, BUT: I have an A/C car (1970 RR) which has not only the 2 heater hoses but an extra water hose that runs in and out of the firewall on the engine side. This appears to be part of the A/C - which possibly uses hot water from the engine???? If I take off my heater hoses will my A/C still work? That extra hose must be there for SOME reason!

Thanks

A/C uses freon ... not hot water.

I used to be worried that the circulation during warm up through the heater core was important for the engine to warm up more evenly. I was clearly wrong and our AC cars prove it. That extra piece in the firewall for AC cars is a heater valve. Mopar totally blocks the flow to the heater core on AC cars so it clearly doesn't hurt. Definitely not issues to be had.

I used to be worried that the circulation during warm up through the heater core was important for the engine to warm up more evenly. I was clearly wrong and our AC cars prove it. That extra piece in the firewall for AC cars is a heater valve. Mopar totally blocks the flow to the heater core on AC cars so it clearly doesn't hurt. Definitely not issues to be had.

Thanks WS. The prior answer "A/C uses freon ... not hot water" isn't exactly the answer I was looking for! Clearly the firewall plumbing for the A/C cars is different than that for the non-A/C cars, the only question was "Why?", and does it matter to the Air Conditioning if it's cut off. I'm gonna plug mine and assume the A/C will still work.

you could literally remove the entire heater core and the ac will work just fine.they are basically isolated systems that feed to the same area.

Can you tap for plug holes with the waterpump still installed? I'm assuming not. Also, once they are tapped, do you just use thread tape or copper coat on the threads?

Auto Transport Service
Back