• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polishing 15" Magnum/Cordoba wheels

patrick66

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
What is a reasonable price to polish a set of 1981 Mirada/Cordoba 15" wheels? I found a set locally that I think I'd like to run on my '66 Coronet. Here are three of the four. The third pic is the toughest wheel. Any ideas on what price per wheel to expect to pay? Thanks.

IMG_20230822_192802412.jpg

IMG_20230822_192756406.jpg

IMG_20230822_192747178.jpg

My bets more than they are worth. At least a couple hundred each. See about getting them powder coated. Lots of very nice colors and looks available.

Polishing aluminum is labor intensive and crusty aluminum is really labor intensive... Either do the bulk of the prework yourself or expect the bill to be upwards of a grand....

Powered coating could turn out well....

I would do it yourself. I bought a couple of polishing wheels I install on my bench grinder, Buy some sticks of polishing compounds and have at it. Try stripping the coating off first with paint stripper, sand the deep scratches and gouges out then finer sandpaper and work your way up to buffing. I move the grinder out into the middle of the lawn, suit up in a full body condom and give it. You could spend an hour per wheel and be surprised at the results or spend more time and really be impressed, depends on your patience level. It's not hard, just mindless grunt work mostly.

I was figuring $150-$200 each to restore. Got a local wheel restoration guy I'm calling today to get an estimate; a referral from my powder-coating guy. These are such amazing wheels when they are nice and bright! I'll see what he has to say before I pull the trigger on these. If I'm looking at a grand to do these, there are a LOT of nice wheels I can get for that kind of money.

I would've had over a grand in these total after a restoration on them, so I passed on the purchase.

i took mine to a big truck stop(that polishes big rigs wheels and chrome) i got mine done for $6 each 15 years ago... but that was then, and this is now(thanks to joe b)

I would've had over a grand in these total after a restoration on them, so I passed on the purchase.
As you decided to pass on them, what was the askign price?

Not that it matters much now, but I see some pitting that would've been a challenge for a professional polisher.
Meaning, they need to do a good job to preserve their reputation, so pitting takes extra effort/techniques.
For a home-brew polisher like me, I'd be content for those areas to get a C+ grade vs the rest of the wheel.

1695434178302.png

Auto Transport Service
Back