• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Polygraphite Torsion Bar Dust Covers

plumcharger

Local time
1:07 AM
Reaction score
OK. I need some help again. I bought a complete P.S.T. polygraphite suspension kit for the 'ol Charger. I am having a heck of a time getting the torsion bar dust covers around the part of the cross member. I got the on the bar but that is it. Does anyone have any secret to get this done or should I just buy rubber seals?

Hum. That's the one poly thing I've never put on.
I'm cheap and reuse my rubber ones since they are usually OK.
I feel your pain. I had a heck of a time getting poly sway bar bushing in a 67 Charger.
I had to cut the brackets apart, modify them to clamp back around the installed bushing.
No way compress them by hand.
I'm no help but bump.

I don't think there's a secret... they're just a royal PITA. I've installed them twice and had to fight until I was sore. Last job I did I got a set from Firm Feel that were poly or something similar but shaped more like the originals. Much easier to install.

Sorry I don't have better news...

I heated mine up in a bowl of water in the microwave and slid them on the bar while they were hot. While they are still quite warm you can work them on the cross member. May need a heat gun if they get too cool. I almost stripped a gear trying to put those things on cold! Someone on here told me to use this method and it worked well. Hope that helps.

Guys the Poly Gzraphatite product from Firm Feel is the best your going to get for the money. The rubber covers last a long time and really using poly on the torsion bars do nothing.

Thanks everyone. I did poly just so everything matched, not necessary though. I will try the heat gun since they are already on the bar, otherwise it comes back apart for a rubber replacement.

I've installed many and yes it's not easy. If you have or even know what a cotter pin puller is,,mine is a craftsman,it's hooked shaped but not sharp or too pointy. Start one end of the lip in the groove at the top,,holding it in place with one hand while using the puller to strech the boot while working the lip into the groove.Sorta like putting a tire on a rim.
Worked for me.

I've installed many and yes it's not easy. If you have or even know what a cotter pin puller is,,mine is a craftsman,it's hooked shaped but not sharp or too pointy. Start one end of the lip in the groove at the top,,holding it in place with one hand while using the puller to strech the boot while working the lip into the groove.Sorta like putting a tire on a rim.
Worked for me.

It properly called a "booger hook".

Heat is a good idea. Solves lots of problems in the world Why didn't I think of that? Duh.

Attachments

• booger.gif
    booger.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 352
Auto Transport Service
Back