• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powder coated bumpers

Moparmatt72

Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
Just thought id share, I'm working on a 67 Dart for my wife and since chrome is getting way expensive, few calls people wanting $425 per bumper looked into what's called extreme chrome powder coat, got both bumpers, vent window front frame piece and rocker panel covers all done in this for $120. Here are the bumpers

- - - Updated - - -

These require a clear coat which gives you this look but if you choose to not clear coat they shine just like chrome. It's crazy, plus last longer then chrome will.

Attachments

• 20150731_115600.jpg
    20150731_115600.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 20150731_103731.jpg
    20150731_103731.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 289
  • 20150731_103716.jpg
    20150731_103716.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 300
Looks really good. I got some bad chrome as well, and I'm thinking about painting the plastic fiber ones I have body color matching until I can afford to re chrome the original ones. This is sweet!

Here are a few more of the car. The wheels are at the highest setting, can drop it down to where the rim in just inside the well. The car has a 12 pt cage, coil overs all four corners, tubular control arms,triangular 4 link, mini tub, 9" 3.50 gears with spool. Fuel injection twin turbo set up.

Attachments

• 20150216_145023.jpg
    20150216_145023.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 20150207_113746.jpg
    20150207_113746.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 20150404_193012.jpg
    20150404_193012.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 261
Damn, I love it!!!! I just might have to steal that Idea for my 69' Dart GT!!!!!

Forgot to mention i also had the front frame of the vent window done in this as well, same color.

... These require a clear coat which gives you this look but if you choose to not clear coat they shine just like chrome. It's crazy, plus last longer then chrome will.

If you DON'T clear coat chrome, silver, gold (and even some red) powders, they will all eventually oxidize. It's because there's metal in the powder. These colors are not UV stable on their own -- thus the clear coat -- and without it you'll be polishing that powder coat forever after a few months.

Thanks Leanna, wish your company was closer would have used you, but this company did a good job. Had some trouble with the inner door handles and vent window piece, good old pot metal

Would it piss you off to learn I lived in San Bernardino for 16 years??? Lol

No worries Matt! Bumpers are heavy and cost a lot to ship. As long as you're happy with the work that's what matters.

I'm frankly surprised they tried albeit unsuccessfully to coat your pot metal. It's taken me many years to perfect the technique and even now there are some parts I'd rather not mess with. Thicker pieces are the worst offenders -- tons of air and impurities trapped in the metal that all want to come to the surface when it gets heated. It's kind of a crap shoot anyway; some turn out a lot better than others.

Are your parts destroyed or just unsuitable for your build?

Last edited:
Leanna, that's cool that you lived out here, course I don't blame you for getting out of here lol wish I could. No they weren't that bad, just wanted them the same color as the bumpers to kinda tie the color in, they tried the inside door handles and the vent window glass frame piece, the little one twice and couldn't get the bubbles to go away, which was okay, I told them if they could great if not no worries, have some great paint that I colored the vent glass frame with and clear coated it black instead. Waiting to get my rocker panel covers back from them as well in the extreme chrome

Auto Transport Service
Back