• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powder coating dash

Kimodc

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
I am in the process of restoring my dash and am thinking of sending my dash frame out to be blasted and powder coated in a matte black finish. I think it will be a good durable finish. I would like to also have the ac vents and ash tray door powder coated to match. My question is do these ac vents come apart easily and how apart do they need to come for powder coating? Anyone ever done this? Bad idea?

I am in the process of restoring my dash and am thinking of sending my dash frame out to be blasted and powder coated in a matte black finish. I think it will be a good durable finish. I would like to also have the ac vents and ash tray door powder coated to match. My question is do these ac vents come apart easily and how apart do they need to come for powder coating? Anyone ever done this? Bad idea?

It would help if we knew what kind of car... 68-70 B body A/C vents are mostly plastic so you won't be powder coating those..

Why not just paint it? Catalyzed Urethane is tough stuff.
Doug

Yes, I get so caught up in what I am working I forget to mention.....1969 Sport Satellite with A/C. The two outside vents are metal with the exception of the plastic flapper on the back side that allows you to shut air flow off. I realize these would need to come off before going in the oven. As far as the center vents, I would have the outside bezel that surrounds them coated. As far as the 2 outside vents are concerned, would I need to remove the rotating vents/louvers? Or do you think I could have them blasted and coated still together? Not exactly sure how I would take these apart
I am thinking powder coat instead of painting because it’s $80 for them to media blast and coat, and the matte black coat looks great. I don’t think I could go buy 2k paint for that much by the time you add in the hardner and various supplies used when painting, not to mention an afternoon spent doing it.

How they work (or if) afterwards will be up to whomever does the job. Moving parts -- such as doors and even piano hinges -- can be coated but getting them freed up without damaging the finish is kind of a touchy timeframe that only experience can guide.

You've already found a place that will beat my price (equalling 2 hours of my labor, probably barely enough for the blasting let alone the rest). Hopefully they'll know what to do with the moving parts so it still functions when it's done.

Keep us posted on how it turns out! My last one was a famed Rocky Mountain Dash insert. Turned out great -- a new black leatherette on the face and silver/clear in the gauge pods.
FB_IMG_1608418006157.jpg

FB_IMG_1608434741715.jpg

Eight Bucks... I'd want to see some examples of their work before handing them any parts!

Cudachick, those look great! I thought $80 did seem on the cheap side as well and I know they old adage of “you get what you pay for” largely holds true, however, they media blasted and coated my entire car at the start of this endeavor and later the K member, and I thought their work was great. If Tennessee wasn’t so far from Arizona, I would be visiting CudaChick. Perhaps I will visit them again, show them the actual parts and try get a feel for their level of confidence. My list of dash parts to be coated has grown to the the dash frame itself, outside ac vents, center ac vent bezel, switch bezel, ash tray door, glove compartment hinge, and heater/ac control plate.
I very much appreciate your comments on this!

Yes, I get so caught up in what I am working I forget to mention.....1969 Sport Satellite with A/C. The two outside vents are metal with the exception of the plastic flapper on the back side that allows you to shut air flow off. I realize these would need to come off before going in the oven. As far as the center vents, I would have the outside bezel that surrounds them coated. As far as the 2 outside vents are concerned, would I need to remove the rotating vents/louvers? Or do you think I could have them blasted and coated still together? Not exactly sure how I would take these apart
I am thinking powder coat instead of painting because it’s $80 for them to media blast and coat, and the matte black coat looks great. I don’t think I could go buy 2k paint for that much by the time you add in the hardner and various supplies used when painting, not to mention an afternoon spent doing it.
I

I did my dash ashtray glove box door and filler panel and it looks like oem not real glossy or flat and very durable. Nice thing was they sand blasted ever inch inside and out so very sanitary.

Auto Transport Service
Back