• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Brake Disc Conversion

Dartman72

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
I’m in the process of converting my 1967 Dodge Coronet Convertible RT clone from drum to power disc brakes. I chose the kit from SSBC-USA out of New York. I was told parts were in stock, but it took 3 ½ weeks to get the parts. It was supposed to be a direct bolt in, but master cylinder fittings are not stock and I had to make new brake lines with correct fittings to replace them – not the end of the world but you need to be prepared to do that. As I got to the wheels, I bolted the rotors and calipers in place only to find that the right caliper was off center and rubbed on the rotor – it was off a lot. I confirmed it was the right caliper by swapping the driver side to the passenger side and while the calipers are specific to a side it did confirm the rotor and car components were true and it is the caliper that was off. When I contacted the SSBC they didn’t have any replacements and have been stringing me along regards a replacement for 2 weeks.

At this point I’m stuck and need to start to look at alternatives. Has anyone had a good experience with a conversion kit? I’ve got a lot of work into this one and in fact it is only the caliper I need to complete the job but without any reasonable response from SSBC I need to move on (I’ve been dealing with this for 2 months). Any Ideas on how to salvage this? It may be needless to say, but I would not recommend SSBC-USA for either their products or customer service.

Hey Dartman Yeah nothing these days are "direct bolt in" Ever think about getting the pieces you need from you local parts store? Napa O'reilly's or Rock Auto. I know now and I'm sure you do also that they just put these kits together from over seas part suppliers. I know some stuff with my "kit" certainly didn't work as it was suppose to. I have a shelf with all these parts that are a direct bolt on in my parts room that is getting fuller with the ones that aren't quite right. lol Might as well bite the bullet.
Good luck DM

Hey Dartman Yeah nothing these days are "direct bolt in"
Good luck DM
Sometimes there are.

DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components

This guy is well known with the FABO crowd. So many of the A bodies came with puny 4 wheel drum brakes and were in desperate need of improvement.
Dr Diff, AKA Cass Eslick sells some great stuff. You can choose stock based parts or complete kits or upgrade to bigger and better brakes. I went with 13" front kit that uses modified Ford Mustang rotors and calipers.
22 4 D.JPG
IMG_E0824.JPG

IMG_E0830.JPG

The 13" kit required the use of a 17" or larger wheel to clear the calipers but Cass has stuff that will fit under a 15" or even a 14" wheel.
He has a great reputation for great parts and great prices.

I know you need to fix what you have.SSBC uses 2 different caliper versions. One is their fancy aluminum caliper.
The other is from a 1967 Ford Mustang. I had that version on my 65 Belvedere 21 years ago.
Found out and bought rebuild kits from Rock Auto when a leak surfaced 12 years later.
Is it possible to shim the caliper that is rubbing ? Had to do that on a Duster that the customer installed 4 wheel discs from Wilwood. A few stainless washers on the caliper bracket saved the day.

would not recommend SSBC-USA for either their products or customer service.
Installed a kit from SSBC having numerous hassles and at first, they were responsive; but not too helpful. Eventually, go figure, they stopped responding to my messages. The MC and booster are GM, had to replace both along the route of getting good brakes. Had to machine a section of new linkage, it was bent, crap metal and looked like my 1st high school metals project. No, I would not recommend them either.

Thanks for the quick responses. I did talk to Cass at DR Diff and he was to honest to a fault. He told me he had trouble with his supplier for tubing and wasn't sure of when he could ship. I fell for the guy who said he had stock but took 3 1/2 weeks to ship bad parts. I would go with Dr Diff next time for sure! Regards possible solutions I believe a shim may work. However, I just got notification that the replacement part is in transit - will let everyone know if it works - if not I will start to see if modification to current parts work. The caliper is shifted along the length of it - not sure how pliable the set up is . I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

If people can see exactly what you have there it would help a bunch. Posting pics is free.

Conversion kits uSing factory Mopar components work a lot less problems.
Mustang II brakes are used in many aftermarket kits only because of the similar bolt circle. Ford fuey !

Last edited:
I actually had bought a SSBC disc conversion kit from Summit back when they ran a special on them (they
had a few sets left and were supposedly getting them off their inventory).
Had it on my workbench when word came out that SSBC was going bankrupt - and when they didn't even
answer their phone, I immediately returned the kit to Summit, chastising them about not being forthright
about the situation with customers.

I have a ssbc conversion kit on my rr that I put on must be 20 years ago and have had no issues with them. But that was then, now sounds like not so good.

Sorry picks shows how the caliper is offset against the rotor. Rotor is true - hope these help

View attachment 1560883
They do help. Like Darter6 said , reduce those shims by about 1/2. I'm surprised the instructions said nothing about setting the caliper distance. They do in wilwood kits. In a fixed position caliper its necessary. Sliding caliper, no

Looks like if you remove the spacer and replace with a thinner one you will be ok.

Looks like if you remove the spacer and replace with a thinner one you will be ok.
Yes I was thinking of that. Just getting clearance for the rotor the pads and pistons would still be offset in the caliper. My concern is with the caliper being offset would that create an uneven surface for pads against the rotor when braking or do you think the pads would just wear to take up the slack?

So is the issue that it's offset or not parallel?
Can't really tell from the picture.
If it's offset then you should be able to adjust the spacers.
If it's not parallel (crooked) then you've got to change parts somewhere.
The casting cleanup grinding does look pretty crappy.

I have SSBC calipers probably from around 2010 or so and they don't look so rough.
They came in a power brake conversion kit but I didn't like the booster/master setup with the Corvette master cylinder.
Mine are setup up with a manual disc/drum master.
They work well.

Yes I was thinking of that. Just getting clearance for the rotor the pads and pistons would still be offset in the caliper. My concern is with the caliper being offset would that create an uneven surface for pads against the rotor when braking or do you think the pads would just wear to take up the slack?
Not quite sure what you mean, but if you look at your picture, the shims are making it offset already, but just the wrong amount. With the proper shim, it will be "set"

So is the issue that it's offset or not parallel?
Can't really tell from the picture.
If it's offset then you should be able to adjust the spacers.
If it's not parallel (crooked) then you've got to change parts somewhere.
The casting cleanup grinding does look pretty crappy.

I have SSBC calipers probably from around 2010 or so and they don't look so rough.
They came in a power brake conversion kit but I didn't like the booster/master setup with the Corvette master cylinder.
Mine are setup up with a manual disc/drum master.
They work well.
You might have a bent spindle.
It happens.

Auto Transport Service
Back