• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering conversion 67 R/T

Harryj

Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello
Recently bought a 67 R/T. Car does not have power steering. I thought i would add it but people are telling me I need to also get a steering column from a power steering car. Is that true ? Can someone enlighten me on this subject ? I'm relatively new to the MOPAR community but I have learned a ton of info on this forum already. Thanks

Yes, to do it right, you will need a power steering column, power steering sector, power steering pump brackets, and power steering hoses. Then you will need the correct crankshaft pulley and belt.

Although they look similar, so not get your parts from a '66 B-body. In 1967, the cars changed to a collapsible steering column which has a larger diameter. The best power steering box came out of Dippy Police cars. To put a newer box, with larger pitman shaft, into an older Mopar, you need a '70's Cordoba pitman arm.

There used to be an adapter to be used with this conversion. I have one on my car, always thought it was made by mopar.
Edit sorry that was for power to manual..

There used to be an adapter to be used with this conversion. I have one on my car, always thought it was made by mopar.
Edit sorry that was for power to manual..
The adapter your talking about is if your switching from power steering to manual steering.

Although they look similar, so not get your parts from a '66 B-body. In 1967, the cars changed to a collapsible steering column which has a larger diameter. The best power steering box came out of Dippy Police cars. To put a newer box, with larger pitman shaft, into an older Mopar, you need a '70's Cordoba pitman arm.

Also, mounting brackets under dash are different as well.

If you have a floor shift car, look for any 67 PS column and swap the shafts between the 2. Column shifts are much more plentiful (and less $$) than a floor shift one.

You can crunch the collapsible shaft too..

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. I talked to Tony at Tony,s Parts and bought everything I need from him. He was very helpful. Thanks again guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back