• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering pump spewing oil

Larry Chilese

Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
My Saginaw Power Steering pump is forcing its fluid out of the vent hole in the cap like Mount Vesuvius. Fluid level is where its supposed to be when hot but after driving it starts to produce enough pressure to force the fluid up and out.
Taking the cap off with engine idling its is really churning badly. Could be the pressure relief vavle is not working or stuck?
Ordered a rebuild kit and some new hoses=any idead I shold be looking for-thanks in advance-Larry

Sounds like you have air in the system. Check it when cold. Bring it to level and start the car. Shut it off right away and let it sit. I will bet you will have to add . Do this for several times. Once aerated its hard to get it out and worse the more you run it.

Jack it up and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times back and forth.
Keep an eye on the reservoir level.

I just told you is #2 above. You want the system to calm down. Adding fluid on a system full of air just makes it worse.
I have never had a problem like what you're stating.
Every Saginaw, hell...every P/S pump I've dealt with seems to just work and the air has never been trapped inside.
I have done the recommended procedure of slowly turning the steering wheel full left and full right, both with the car in the air and on the ground.
The only time I ever had power steering troubles that persisted was when I tried to use a Hydroboost system. That damn thing burned up 3 pumps trying to bleed the air out. I'd install a pump and have P/S but no brakes, bleed the system and STILL have no brakes and slowly lose the power assist to the steering. This happened THREE times so I pulled the hydroboost off and abandoned the idea. The P/S pump has been fine since.

I have never had a problem like what you're stating.
Every Saginaw, hell...every P/S pump I've dealt with seems to just work and the air has never been trapped inside.
I have done the recommended procedure of slowly turning the steering wheel full left and full right, both with the car in the air and on the ground.
The only time I ever had power steering troubles that persisted was when I tried to use a Hydroboost system. That damn thing burned up 3 pumps trying to bleed the air out. I'd install a pump and have P/S but no brakes, bleed the system and STILL have no brakes and slowly lose the power assist to the steering. This happened THREE times so I pulled the hydroboost off and abandoned the idea. The P/S pump has been fine since.
Most of the time you will not have a problem. However an overly aerated system becomes what I would say angry. Adding fluid just makes it puke worse. Back in the day all the Dodge sno fiters had a belt driven Saginaw pump system. Run them low and they were a bitch do get all the air out. I just find it easier to fill, start, shut off and refill. I do that several times. Then I will turn it one way and back to center, shut off and let it sit a bit. Refill and start it and turn it the opposite way. Repeat. Once it cavitates it just gets worse.

Auto Transport Service
Back