• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Predict my 1/4 mile time

has 4.10 gears
The 3.54s in my Dana 60 440+6 70 Roadrunner worked fine as a compromise gear ratio. 3,500 RPM at 70, just tolerable, but also allowed for a shift into 4th gear far enough before the 1320 line to make it workable.
BUT
Once I installed the OD Passon Performance a855 5 speed, I simultaneously switched to 4.10 gears in the Dana 60.
WOW!
1st gear still quite useable, 5th gear at 70 I'm down to 2,750 RPMs which is a LOT better than the 750 less RPMs may indicate. BIG difference in reduction of noise and much more peace of mind regarding wear and tear.
I am much more focused on drag strip performance than highway or road course top speed. I can still cover 1320 feet in 1st-4th, and the 4.10 makes it a lot more fun!
If I had a Superbird or Daytona, I would have kept the 3.54

The 3.54s in my Dana 60 440+6 70 Roadrunner worked fine as a compromise gear ratio. 3,500 RPM at 70, just tolerable, but also allowed for a shift into 4th gear far enough before the 1320 line to make it workable.
BUT
Once I installed the OD Passon Performance a855 5 speed, I simultaneously switched to 4.10 gears in the Dana 60.
WOW!
1st gear still quite useable, 5th gear at 70 I'm down to 2,750 RPMs which is a LOT better than the 750 less RPMs may indicate. BIG difference in reduction of noise and much more peace of mind regarding wear and tear.
I am much more focused on drag strip performance than highway or road course top speed. I can still cover 1320 feet in 1st-4th, and the 4.10 makes it a lot more fun!
If I had a Superbird or Daytona, I would have kept the 3.54

What kind of times? 1/4 et mph and 60ft.

What kind of times? 1/4 et mph and 60ft.
60 ft stink because of traction problems, problems because of what I believe are weak leaf springs. My reason for thinking that is I bent the crap out of Mancini's best pinion snubber on the first run, and the rear may sit a little low too.
I am replacing the leaf spring setup with a RMS or Gerst triangulated rear suspension system, but I have other things that are ahead of that on "the list".
So 60ft is 2.X seconds, but 1/4 mile times and speed is around 13.3-13.5 at 106MPH.
I also want to install a hydraulic clutch and the HitMaster launch control system.
I also have a line lock that I'll install when I get the new Wilwood 4 wheel disc brake system.
Long list, but very productive changes are coming.
I'd really like to get my QA1 K-member and front suspension system installed.

here's my combo in my 67
72 440 original stock block
452 heads stock valve job
.509 cam
M1 intake with 800 holley
1 3/4 headers
11" TS converter
3.91 gears
2.5 exhaust out back
255 MT drag radial all stock interior
best ET to date 13.18 104 mph shifting at 5600

This was my set up
68 roadrunner 383 cu.
906 heads with 3 angle valve job
Stock intake manifold
Crane cheater cam
Hooker 2” fender well headers
456 rear
8” slicks
Reworked carter avs carb
Stock 833 four speed trans
Best was 12.61 consistent 12.8’s

From what I can remember because this was in the early 70's 4th gear well before 1320

From what I can remember because this was in the early 70's 4th gear well before 1320
I would have thought so.
With my wheels and 4.10 gears 4th carries me through the 1320 no problem. I have 5th gear, but I certainly didn't want to have to shift again in a quarter mile.
Stellar performance from that combination, and the 383!
My best friend had a 70 Roadrunner, 383, Pistol Grip 4 speed, 3.92 and then 4.30 something gears. Headers, intake, carb, cam, springs, lifters. Pinion snubber. It was consistent on the street, and while not blazing fast, consistency won many a race. 1st gear was a cacophony of squealing tires, intake and exhaust roar, but it was moving forward. 2nd gear came quickly, and that is when that car came into its own.
13.6s were like money in the bank.
It inspired me to get my 70 Roadrunner, which is at the peak of power, other than a 426 Hemi, with its 440+6bbl. Once I get it to hook and launch consistently, and I have what I believe will facilitate that lined up, I just need money (lol) my car should knock down 12s all day long.

68 Satellite, all steel, full interior, heater, wipers, etc, 6 point roll bar, 3670lbs race weight.
Mechanical fuel pump, factory original 5/16” sender and fuel line, crank driven fan and water pump, flat hood, battery up front.
.030 over 383, TRW pistons, stock rods, cast crank from a 400, still external balanced.
Unported 906 heads, stock sized valves, RPM, 850DP, 1-7/8” open headers, .560 solid cam, iron rockers.
Dynoed at 485hp.
8” converter, 4,56’s, 29.5” bias slicks, 20 yo SS springs.

Car had been sitting unused for 6 years....... put the 383 in, went thru the trans, went to the track with the 6 yo slicks.

First pass off the trailer 11.82
Next pass 11.62

In the following weeks it rountinely ran 11.50’s and 40’s.
Eventually I ended up installing an electric water pump drive, then some cal-tracs, and it ended up going a best of 11.26 like that.

One thing about the big honkin rear tires and wheels...... if you don’t actually need them for your performance level........ they eat up power.

In the 93/94 era, I had a 340 in my car....... ran 5.13’s with it.
30” bias slicks.
Went like 115-116mph........ just about 7k.

Last edited:
This was my set up
68 roadrunner 383 cu.
906 heads with 3 angle valve job
Stock intake manifold
Crane cheater cam
Hooker 2” fender well headers
456 rear
8” slicks
Reworked carter avs carb
Stock 833 four speed trans
Best was 12.61 consistent 12.8’s

That's a really fast/quick car!

Sure was
Ran G stock
Was class record holder
I still have most of the trophy’s about 18
Also there is some video that a friend of mine has in his storage shed I would love to get someday
Only have a few photos when car was a few years old
Ended up selling the car for $600 in 1975 and the owner totaled it out 6 months later

Also a little tid bit after the car was totaled the motor was sold and put in another car and he ended up hitting a pole and killing himself

Auto Transport Service
Back