• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressure testing heater core?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:50 PM
Reaction score
So...it's getting chilly here in MD, but there's no winter salt on the roads yet so I'm still driving the Charger as much as I can.

But.

It's a FL car, and when I got it the heater core was simply unhooked. Not sure if it was "leak", or "Florida"...but I hesitate to fill it until I figure out if it has holes in it or not.

Any suggestions on the best way to cobble up a pressure test for it? I plan to test both the core, and the control valve...separately, so I'd love to have something that I can slip off the hose nipples and move to the other unit for a second test.

Maybe see if you can rig up something to adapt a radiator pressure tester (radiator cap neck & adapt it to fit a 3/4" or 5/8" hose). Attach it to one side of the heater core & use a rubber cork on the other side held in with duct tape??? OR....maybe attach a hose, put your thumb on the other side and blow?

I use a valve stem in a heater hose, use a bike pump to control the pressure better.

I was thinking bike pump (have plenty) and a valve. I have a couple old bike tubes, I could cut a section out and zip tie it over one hose nipple I guess. Just want to figure out how to rig a gauge to the other nipple, so I can watch for pressure drop.

10psi should be enough?

I figure I'll air it up and let sit overnight, and check the gauge.

I've used a cheap adjustable air regulator and cobble up some fittings to get to the 1/2"heater hose and T into the loop on both ends of the core. Then a ball valve on the inlet to check for pressure loss. My cap is 18 lbs so I checked to 25.

I've used a cheap adjustable air regulator and cobble up some fittings to get to the 1/2"heater hose and T into the loop on both ends of the core. Then a ball valve on the inlet to check for pressure loss. My cap is 18 lbs so I checked to 25.
I've done similar but didn't go much over my cap pressure.....

Glen Ray also restores and repairs cores too! Fabulous work is all you will get from them!

Yeah, I'm really hoping to avoid pulling stuff out just yet....I know, it's a band-aid, but I'll save the "yank the dash" adventure for when I get the urge to get the factory a/c working again!

I was thinking bike pump (have plenty) and a valve. I have a couple old bike tubes, I could cut a section out and zip tie it over one hose nipple I guess. Just want to figure out how to rig a gauge to the other nipple, so I can watch for pressure drop.

10psi should be enough?

'tis how I did mine. Valve section from an old inner tube from a skinny tire 10 speed.

Yep, should work. Hadn't even thought about it until I started this thread and was thinking out loud, so to speak. We'll see!

This has been my solution for many years. I connect one end to regulated air (15psi) and dunk the core in a bucket of water.

In the car you could adapt one end to an old R12 fitting and use an AC gauge set to check for leaks.

IMG_1715.JPG

How do you check to core when it is still in the dash ? See if water leaks onto the floor ?

I'm going to pressure test it with air, and a gauge. Pressurize to 10psi or so, leave it sit overnight, and see where the gauge is in the morning. My dilemma was only figuring out how to seal up / attach a schraeder valve, and a gauge port...didn't know if anyone here had any tips or ideas.

10psi should be enough?

That's exactly how I would do it, a bicycle tube and some clamps.

Auto Transport Service
Back