• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

primeing the engine.

ddpsnake

Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
One thing i have notice on GRC is they don't prime there new engines,or they do it off camera.Now i have to admit i have had 3 outer engines rebuilt, and did not prime,so whats the deal.

I would hope they do it off set. They also test run all engines on the engine stand which they seemed to have stopped showing also. Basically they keep showing less car stuff and more cartoon and off topic crap by the season.

Don, on a new or rebuilt engine I would rotate the crankshaft by hand, while priming the system. This ensures that oil gets around all the bearings and into all the internal oil passages. Leave off the valve covers to make sure the the valve train is getting oil while priming the system. That way when you start the motor it has oil on all the surfaces and you will not get a dry start.

The engine should have lots of assembly lube on the critical parts...but what if it doesn't, or if it's sat long enough for the lube to slide off? It takes a bit of time for the system to prime, not much but enough time to score things up if there isn't enough lube.
The main reason to prime first, in my mind, is to verify that the oil pump actually works and there's no obstructions anywhere, pressure builds in the system, and turning the crank slowly insures cam bearing #4 is in properly enough to get oil to the valvetrain.

ok but lets say i prime this September and she sits for 5 mounts would i have to prime again? the last 360 build i primed her and it sat for half a year, fired her up and never had a problem,not trying to get out of this just need to know.thanks all.

My opinion, it's best to prime it right before you fire it to insure a fresh clingy oil film on the internals.

Don, make sure you fill the oil filter 3/4 full with oil before installing it and priming the motor. That way when you spin the oil pump you will get instant oil pressure and will not wear off the assembly lube as bad

Don, make sure you fill the oil filter 3/4 full with oil before installing it and priming the motor. That way when you spin the oil pump you will get instant oil pressure and will not wear off the assembly lube as bad
will do,my heads go fro a valve job august 17, when i get them back i will buy the prime rod, mine got bent some how lol,and prime her.

If you fill a BB filter too much you just make a mess and spill expensive oil when it lays on its side to go on the pump.

This is why you prime the engine.

Stop all the foolishness and prime the darn thing!

hey guys, i have a question on this topic if i may, this might be a dumb question but what direction would you spin the primimg shaft and what direction would you spin the crank bolt? thanks

hey guys, i have a question on this topic if i may, this might be a dumb question but what direction would you spin the primimg shaft and what direction would you spin the crank bolt? thanks
Big block, oil pump spins counter-clockwise...clockwise for small block.
Crankshaft turns clockwise on both, looking at the engine from the front.

If you fill a BB filter too much you just make a mess and spill expensive oil when it lays on its side to go on the pump.

This is why you prime the engine.

Stop all the foolishness and prime the darn thing!

he is not building BB motor, he has a SB 360

Is it worth it to take the chance that you will definitely cause unwanted bearing/cam wear caused by insufficient initial lubrication? Even on a car that is driven regularly , most of the engines' wear is caused at start up. How much effort does it really take to go that extra step. We seem to worry more about how it looks on the outside than what is happening on the inside until we have a failure. What about carb priming ? How many of us crank the engine until we have fuel pressure to fill the float bowls ?? Or dangerously pour fuel down the carb thoat instead of filling the float bowls through the bowls vents with a proper fitting hose/line and funnel or squeeze bottle.?? Eliminates lag time for accelerator pumps ability to do its job. How many have a proper fire extinguisher handy at start up just in case of a fuel leak, ignition backfire ?? You should follow a procedure of some sort, step 1, 2, 3 etc... so you cover all bases. How many do the initial start up in side your garage and not out in the open ?? What ifs....fire, poisonous fumes, fluid leaks... Just a little thought

Well said.Imust admit never primed when the engine is in the car that must be a job leaning over a wide fender.

Well said.Imust admit never primed when the engine is in the car that must be a job leaning over a wide fender.
Yeah...tougher on a small block to turn the crank while priming as the oil pump is at the back, so a helper would be a good thing.

I use the primer that operates like an accumulator. I fill the tank with oil and then spin the engine while opening the valve. It fills the engine with oil through the oil sending unit port.

You should always have a second person with you. An extra set of eyes and hands is always a good idea. Especially when you are doing multiple things at once. Safety first.

Joe GIBBS AND I got the lifters lube up,love his assemble lube.now just have to wait for my heads.

S9120005.JPG S9120004.JPG S9120007.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back