• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi 426 roller cam weird problem

BIGWILLIE

Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
We just installed new cam and lifters. Comp roller cam and matching lifters. I also added a new millings hi volume oil pump, during install using my oil pump priming shaft turning ccw had 60+ oil pressure rotated engine during valve adjustment prime pressure dropped to 0 so i pulled oil pump and blueprinted it to exact specs, reinstalled oil pressure back up to 60+ started engine cold prtessure came up so i shut engine off and finished install.
Herre is problem when warm drops to 0 again running warm not hot.

Could there be some kind of problem with cam and lifters causing problem? 6 qt pan full of new 10w40 HD oil. any help on diagnosing this problem would help greatly.

thanks Bill

Tough one. If you turn it by hand and lose oil pressure then turn engine more does oil pressure come back? I'd have a buddy cranking oil pressure while you turn engine slowly by hand do two turns. Looking to see if it maybe a lifter or lifters dumping oil.

Last edited:
Probably unrelated but what oil filter are you running?

Someone just went through this over in FABO. In his case, had several new oil pump failures, 3 I think. At least one was a melling. Was on a small block.

Pressure port is not reliant on cam bearing/journal position so you should read pressure on your gauge within a few seconds of hand priming.
Something else is going on....I'd try a different gauge first!
When the zero pressure situation occurs you can try priming with the filter off to see if oil shoots out (yeah it's gonna be messy, be ready!)
If that works, then you've ruled out a cracked/plugged pickup or pump issue.
If you get steady oil during that test, the next thing to think about would be a loose/missing passage plug.
After that you might consider pulling the intake and valley cover and priming while watching the lifters to make sure everything is okay. The bores can *sometimes* be so severely worn that they bleed (sometimes lots of) oil but I doubt that would give you 60psi, then zero...keep us updated!

Really think it is the lifters. OP didn't say hyd or solid lifters or if lifter bores were bushed. I'd pull intake and valley cover have someone priming the engine while OP turning and watch lifters. Lifters have a (I bet) groove cut around them. The ring come out of bores and lose oil. A groove see arrow.

lifter6.JPG

Pressure port is not reliant on cam bearing/journal position so you should read pressure on your gauge within a few seconds of hand priming.
Something else is going on....I'd try a different gauge first!
When the zero pressure situation occurs you can try priming with the filter off to see if oil shoots out (yeah it's gonna be messy, be ready!)
If that works, then you've ruled out a cracked/plugged pickup or pump issue.
If you get steady oil during that test, the next thing to think about would be a loose/missing passage plug.
After that you might consider pulling the intake and valley cover and priming while watching the lifters to make sure everything is okay. The bores can *sometimes* be so severely worn that they bleed (sometimes lots of) oil but I doubt that would give you 60psi, then zero...keep us updated

Pulled Intake found one pushrod off the lifter and lifter in bore but not necessary staying down in bore during running.

Turned engine over with starter after pushrod and lifter installed properly no large amount of oil coming from lifter bore upper or lower turned until see 30 lbs on gauge and no large oil loss.

Lifters have groove around them but very small and oil not coming from the bores during cranking, running 10w40 multi-weight oil

We will install intake and rerun motor to see if problem is corrected.

We will let group know the results.

Thanks for all the help will report if fixed.

Pushrod wasn't bent? Did you see any reason why it came off, adjuster not right. Maybe that oneadjusted with engine in wrong order? Hope it works out.

Success !!!!!!!! pulled the intake roller #2 on the passinger side had pushrod jump out of lifter and lifter was 1/2 way out of the bore so when cold and no oil pressure it slipped down in place. So when engine warmed up lifter pushed out of hole by cam shaft and oil pressure did the rest pushed it up more and oil pressure was dumping directly into oil pan. Fixed lifter and installed pushrod and w=set to proper clearance. Put it back together and 30 on idle and 65 on 2000 RPM when warm and engine sound really good .

Attached is short video of the engine with the single 4bbl intake for the street im running.

Thanks to everyone who helped me find the problem.

Pushrod wasn't bent? Did you see any reason why it came off, adjuster not right. Maybe that oneadjusted with engine in wrong order? Hope it works out.
You hit it correctly we did not adjust it correctly when cold and going thru the various lifters to set them when first installed (I DEPENDED ON MY HELPER AND HE MISSED IT THEN I MISSED IT A SECOND TIME BEFORE INSTALLING INTAKE OLD ADDIGE CHECK EVERYTHING TWICE THEN CHECK IT A THIRD)

Really think it is the lifters. OP didn't say hyd or solid lifters or if lifter bores were bushed. I'd pull intake and valley cover have someone priming the engine while OP turning and watch lifters. Lifters have a (I bet) groove cut around them. The ring come out of bores and lose oil. A groove see arrow.

View attachment 1570446
comp lifter have a slight none machined area in the center like this but not to this estreame

We just installed new cam and lifters. Comp roller cam and matching lifters. I also added a new millings hi volume oil pump, during install using my oil pump priming shaft turning ccw had 60+ oil pressure rotated engine during valve adjustment prime pressure dropped to 0 so i pulled oil pump and blueprinted it to exact specs, reinstalled oil pressure back up to 60+ started engine cold prtessure came up so i shut engine off and finished install.
Herre is problem when warm drops to 0 again running warm not hot.

Could there be some kind of problem with cam and lifters causing problem? 6 qt pan full of new 10w40 HD oil. any help on diagnosing this problem would help greatly.

thanks Bill
Pulled Intake found one pushrod off the lifter and lifter in bore but not necessary staying down in bore during running.

Turned engine over with starter after pushrod and lifter installed properly no large amount of oil coming from lifter bore upper or lower turned until see 30 lbs on gauge and no large oil loss.

Lifters have groove around them but very small and oil not coming from the bores during cranking, running 10w40 multi-weight oil

We will install intake and rerun motor to see if problem is corrected.

We will let group know the results.

Thanks for all the help will report if fixed.

Running Perfectly sounds great and holds 30 at idle warm and 65-70 above idle

Thanks eveyone for all your help.

This is a really good blog and no bullsh___ I will be here for a long while Thanks again

Glad that your problem was simple or obvious to find, and nothing appears to have been hurt.

Auto Transport Service
Back