• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro-active parts replacing, yes or no?

Nick 916

Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
So, my '74 with a 360 had 135,000 miles when I picked it up. Now about 137,000. Is it a good idea to replace things like ignition module, ballast resistor, voltage regulator etc. Just to be sure all electronics are sound? Car is running fine as it is. Just curious about all your thoughts. Thanks.

With the hit and miss quality of electronic parts these days, if they're working, I wouldn't touch them.

I would replace wear items. Some based on age and some via inspection.

Jeff

I would agree with the poster above. When it comes to electronics I would leave it alone. But consider having spares in the trunk or to the side as the items you mentioned are small and take up little room . As for other items like suspension or brakes I would just inspect annually and if worn or dry rotted replace.

Thanks
James

I would agree with the poster above. When it comes to electronics I would leave it alone. But consider having spares in the trunk or to the side as the items you mentioned are small and take up little room . As for other items like suspension or brakes I would just inspect annually and if worn or dry rotted replace.

Thanks
James

Excellent point on carrying spares...I should have mentioned that!

Jeff

This is a matter that's been more and more of a focus of mine lately. I've learned it's cheaper to proactively replace high-failure parts or questionable parts than to pay for a tow and then pay to replace them. :)

I keep a spare ballast, ECU, voltage regulator, universal radiator hose, bypass hose, fuel line, and fuel pump in the trunk and I replaced all of these over the past few months even though only the ballast went bad.

I don't like braking down! If I'm in there and it's not new it will be new! I have been fighting my truck recently I had to replace an injector. Well at $120 each most people replace one I don't like chasing problems so 8 New injector s went in.
As for the elc parts if it works leave it be the new stuff is hit and miss I've had 3 starter relays out of the box not work .
Yes keep spare s no fun sitting on the side of the high way in your car .

Anyone who's had an old Mopar knows you concern yourself more about having a spare ballast resistor than about a spare tire !!!

I say carry a spare ballast resistor (new), spare voltage regulator (new) & a spare ignition box (used) in the trunk & leave the car alone. You might want to start running high mileage oil. Definitely do the basic tune-up stuff (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter) regularly.

If you really, really like the car then maybe start slowly putting together a replacement engine? Personally, I like to have a 2nd engine built & ready to go if possible. Since it's running now, you could take you time over the next year or two.

Also, by now you're probably due for a valve job anyway. Why not find another set of heads & rebuild them now. When you go to swap the heads, you can take a peak at the pistons/cylinder walls to see how they look. You can also get a "feel" for how good your bearings are if you install a mechanical oil pressure gage.

I don't like braking down! If I'm in there and it's not new it will be new! I have been fighting my truck recently I had to replace an injector. Well at $120 each most people replace one I don't like chasing problems so 8 New injector s went in.
As for the elc parts if it works leave it be the new stuff is hit and miss I've had 3 starter relays out of the box not work .
Yes keep spare s no fun sitting on the side of the high way in your car .
Reminds me of when I went to get a new alternator with my son. We took the one from the parts car and had it tested, and it tested good, but I decided to get a new one anyway. My son asked me why and I told him that old unit may work great today and then crap out tomorrow, so why take the risk? I would rather spend $50 on a new unit than $120 on a tow.

As I read this thread I sit here knowing the Sears Die Hard battery in my 67 is 7 years old LOL.
Now I wonder is this the summer it lets me down ?
Ah hell I got cables in the trunk.

One thing that always concerns me is the timing chain on these old engines. I would want to check if it has the plastic cam gear that can go at any time, especially with how old the plastic is.
It is just the way I ended up getting my 67 Belvedere parts car. The timing gear broke and the guy that owned car couldn't afford the repair. I paid for timing chain repair and got the car. It still needed new valves though.

Auto Transport Service
Back