• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pro comp top end kit ?

I don't know anything about this kit, but I will tell you if you get it, to have the heads checked out for proper spring pressure. Also might be a good idea to check the guides and work on the seats as well. I have a set of rockers for a BB that look exactly like those and overall they are pretty nice. However, I do plan to replace all the hardware including the adjusters with something that is rated.

does it sound like its worth it though if I have to have the heads pulled apart and gone through as soon as I get them.

Looks like they have one for RB blocks too, just with aluminum rockers.

It's a good price. If you get the kit, ditch the rockers. They are notorious for unkeying the valves because they are self aligning rockers. You see those extensions of the rocker bodies that go beyond the rollers? Those will hit on almost any retainer you want to use on a small block. I don't know why in the world Pro Comp made them self aligning when they are shaft mounted. There's no need. Other than that, I think the heads are ok. As Meepamous pointed out, you need to make SURE everything is good. Springs, guides, valves. If I got that kit, I would automatically plan on trashing the springs, retainers and locks anyway. Really though, that's pretty much par for the course with most any aluminum head because there's no way for the companies to know what your combo is.....so unless you spend extra to get what you need off the bat, what you end up with WILL be the cheapest thing they sling on. Oh yeah.....did I say ditch the rockers? Don't use um. You'll be sorry.

Hey Rusty, your comments on the rockers has me worried. As mentioned, I have what appears to be the exact same set but for a BB. And I did notice the extended edges that resemble Ford rail rockers, however, mine don't come close to hitting the keepers. I'm thinking I'm OK here? I also found out that these are not bolt on! The blue aluminum blocks are not allowing the rocker roller tip to sit on the valve stem, and to deal with this issue, I take a measurement then head over to my mill and start cutting until it's correct. I also got some shims to set the side to side clearance and leave about .015" slop without the rails touching the valve stem. In order to make this work out I had to make a hollow dowel to locate the shaft in the head and will do something similar to locate the aluminum block to the shaft. This way it's repeatable if and when I remove the assembly.

I,d run like hell. Pro comp is not high quality.You get what you pay for.

Meepamous, it's not the keepers they hit, it's the retainers. You might have positive enough offset retainers that they don't contact anything......but that's unusual. Unusual because most times, instead of going positive with a retainer, most HP applications are going negative to gain more spring height and with those dumbass extended rocker bodies, that is really dangerous. They essentially act like a valve spring compressor and hit the retainer unlocking the valves.

Now, the PRW stainless rockers, I really like and they are made from chinkesium, too, but are much better quality. Stainless and bushed with NO extensions on the rocker body. They even come with good hold downs. No sir, I would stay as far away from the Pro Comp rockers as possible.......although I do think there may be some other products they make that might be useable. Our local head porter, Jerry Killian is nationally known and he likes their head castings. He says contrary to what people think, they are actually cast in Australia, not China. He says he's talked directly with the manufacturer in Australia. I've tried to verify it, but I cannot find anything. Since he ports heads and I don't, I tend to believe him. But you never know.

I,d run like hell. Pro comp is not high quality.You get what you pay for.

I agree, with daredevil about the "you get what you pay for"....I don't know Pro Comp......shop around ask questions. I have been buying parts on ebay for over 10 years and people say lots of good things to sell items. Maybe check this guy out. Might cost a little more to get your package but fixing things later could cost more. I don't know him but looks very accessible by phone an looks like he checks all his stuff well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/chrysler-mo...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25755ceb58

so what about these heads what do you guys think about this deal they are only a few hundred less than edelbrock heads though im stroking my 318 to a 390 so i want the big valves.

If a "few hundred" is all the difference, I would go with Edelbrock.

Chinkesium? Hahaha! My rockers don't hit anything so I think I'm fine there. The shafts look nice and the rockers are bushed and fit great, so aside from needing to center them over the valve stem and replace the hardware they seem like they will work out. I'm not running a lot of spring either so all the better.

Auto Transport Service
Back