• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro Form Mopar big block valve covers, not so good

The Indy covers are very similar to those cast summit covers.

On Indy heads with Indy covers, I’ve had good luck with the thin paper Indy gaskets.
They hardly compress at all, and that allows them to be snugged up pretty good.

If you want something a little more compliant, that’s kind of a “one and done” deal, the fel-pro 1612’s work well.
However, they usually tear a little when you take them off, so they’re not a good choice if you plan on pulling the covers often.

No experience with the Cometics.

I had the same Moroso tearing experience twice, so I don’t put them on anymore unless they’re specifically requested by the customer.

With the MP cast covers on stock iron heads, I’ve had good results using the plain old cork gaskets glued to the V/C.

I would expect that combo could also work on the cast Summit/Indy style covers with the TF heads, but I’d want to see what the V/C to head overlap situation looked like.

Last edited:
My next go-around I'll be using Superformance. I've had really good results with all his other ones, I'm sure the valve cover gaskets are no exception.
Another trick with the Moroso's I did, was to take some real fine sandpaper, 800 or 1200, and just go along and lightly brush both edges of the valve covers at an angle to take the corner down, just enough to smooth it a little more. That might have been useless but it seemed smart at the time:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've never seen any problems with Trick Flow heads. You need to carefully inspect the valve covers for size as well as flatness. Turn the valve cover over and lay the gasket on it and see how it fits. Then do the same with the head and see how it fits. Those valve covers must not be the correct width if they are tearing the gasket on a Trick Flow head.
Which Cometic gasket did you use? They have a cheaper fiber gasket but the good gasket is the rubber molded on a steel core. I've never seen them leak on a Trick Flow head if the valve cover is the correct size and is flat. I have Cometic gaskets on the engine in my Duster and the valve covers have been on and off dozens of times over the years. Zero leaks even though the gaskets have been on the engine for several years.
Not sure what the model of cosmetics is because they were bought and installed by IMM Engines. Here is a pic of them. They are pretty robust and I am sure there is metal inside them. The back bottom corners are where the problem seems to be. I heard that the Trick Flow heads are slightly narrower than other brands, idk if this is true.

20200517_140728.jpg

It’s been a while, but as I recall....... my first experience with the Moroso gaskets was with the MP cast covers and RPM heads.
Got a tear in one before the dyno session was over.
That combo of parts just wasn’t a good match.
The covers were “wider” than the heads...... and sort of tried to fold the gasket over the sharp edge of the heads.
And before you know it...... there’s a big tear puking oil out.

My “go to” gasket for that combo is the FP 1612.

Not sure what the model of cosmetics is because they were bought and installed by IMM Engines. Here is a pic of them. They are pretty robust and I am sure there is metal inside them. The back bottom corners are where the problem seems to be. I heard that the Trick Flow heads are slightly narrower than other brands, idk if this is true.

View attachment 951468

I don't know what the problem is that you're having but I'm suspecting something isn't correct. Take a look at this article. I used TF heads and Cometic gaskets and I had the valve covers off dozens of times as we changed rocker arms multiple times. Zero leaks from the valve cover gaskets with dozens of WOT dyno pulls. Either your heads have a defect in the rail or your valve covers are warped. You just need to inspect everything closely.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/trying-find-extra-power-rocker-arm-testing/

When I did my valve covers (Mopar factory chrome dealies from '67) I wound up using FelPro #VS50145R
gaskets. They're reasonably priced, tough and rubberized for repeated VC removals.
Been around forever.
Second choice was going to be the Cometics if I had issues with the FelPro's - which I haven't.
Using ARP studs on the valve covers made a big difference, too.

It’s been a while, but as I recall....... my first experience with the Moroso gaskets was with the MP cast covers and RPM heads.
Got a tear in one before the dyno session was over.
That combo of parts just wasn’t a good match.
The covers were “wider” than the heads...... and sort of tried to fold the gasket over the sharp edge of the heads.
And before you know it...... there’s a big tear puking oil out.

My “go to” gasket for that combo is the FP 1612.
Just put my Cometic back on. If that leaks, I will order some 1612's.

I don't know what the problem is that you're having but I'm suspecting something isn't correct.
Lol, I do. Bad luck seems to follow me around.

Just put my Cometic back on. If that leaks, I will order some 1612's.
The FelPro 1612 is the same critter as the VS50145R I mentioned.
One is listed under their "race" line; the other, under their "PermaDry" series.

@coloradodave , what gaskets are you using?

Elk; I'm using the Moroso rubber gaskets on Indy-1 heads. I barely snug the hold down bolts with a 1/4" drive ratchet, holding it near the ratchet head. No leaks, no splitting, several install/remove cycles.
I had similar results ( splitting) as other members trying to get them to seal on factory heads or over tightening them.

Elk; I'm using the Moroso rubber gaskets on Indy-1 heads. I barely snug the hold down bolts with a 1/4" drive ratchet, holding it near the ratchet head. No leaks, no splitting, several install/remove cycles.
I had similar results ( splitting) as other members trying to get them to seal on factory heads or over tightening them.
I'm sure I tightened them too much then. I thought I was being gentle, but not enough I guess.

Last edited:
I got a pair from Summit this week. The older cast bog block Mopar Performance valve covers are no longer produced which is a shame.

The bolt holes had to be opened up to fit. Had to move the lip out a bit in a few places to get over the gasket. Then after snugging it down I see this. The upper part of the cover warped so bad I can reach in and move the gasket around. That was about .070" of feeler gauge in there with room to spare. The other cover was not as bad, but still unusable.

View attachment 950211
Geeeez! They would be headed back. I can't accept spending good money for bad parts.

I see this thread already has plenty of input, but I'll chime in anyway...

I had success on iron 906's with the blue Moroso rubber/steel gaskets on older aftermarket chrome stamped steel valve covers (they were dimpled from previous overtightening, and still didn't leak). These were the covers I had:

p5007448.jpg

Maybe I just got lucky, but chrome hardly ever seals, either. No splits or tears. Should you want to try another set, as others have said - try not to crank them down as tight. :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back