• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

procomp heads?

arizona satellite

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
have anyone of you tried the procomp heads that are sold on ebay? from what I gather they are procomp, but that is never stated, I only guessed this due to the fact that the big block heads have a 72cc combustion chamber and 225/188 valves. they seem a good deal at 900.00 a set give or take a few bucks. any thoughts? I was also looking at the e-street vs the rpm units from edelbrock, the e-street and the rpm apear to the same unit with a different name stamped on them, even the price is the same. only the e-street is sold as a pair and the rpm is sold individually.

And after you read that,,, Mine are still working perfectly!!!

sounds good, but are the ones on ebay procomp? I have no way to find out, they doo look the same as far as the design goes. what about the 440 source heads? what about the raised port? will the std rb manifold fit?

sounds good, but are the ones on ebay procomp? I have no way to find out, they doo look the same as far as the design goes. what about the 440 source heads?

I don't have any way of knowing what add your looking at...
As far as Stealth heads VS Edelbrock or ProComp "Victor" type heads, you would be comparing apples to oranges. The Victor style head is a much higher performance design than the 440 Source Stealth head. The Victor style head has raised ports, relocated valves, Heart shaped "low cc" combustion chambers, Larger valves, larger runners.

the pro comp units on ebay do not specify "victor" they run 969.99 plus shipping. there is another head that sells for 906.99 plus the ride and looks identical to the procomp, but fails to give any manufacture info. the ad is almost the same. just dont want to jump on that better deal and find out its ****. as you stated in you original post we can't drop 1500.00 on a single head.

also will I need to use the offset rockers for the pro comp? and the intake will the std RB work?

also will I need to use the offset rockers for the pro comp? and the intake will the std RB work?

Offset rockers are required, and standard RB intakes fit because they have a built in spacer. ProComp calls them 440 Victor, because they are copies of Edel Victors.

I have heard good things about the heads. But I have also heard that pro-comp valve-train hardware can be kinda dodgy. I think this is Chinese stuff. But they seem to make revisions, and improvements fairly quickly. So the **** you bought a year ago, might actually be improved by now. My $.02? I would try to get a bare head, and use moving parts and hardware, that I trust, on it.

I have heard good things about the heads. But I have also heard that pro-comp valve-train hardware can be kinda dodgy. I think this is Chinese stuff. But they seem to make revisions, and improvements fairly quickly. So the **** you bought a year ago, might actually be improved by now. My $.02? I would try to get a bare head, and use moving parts and hardware, that I trust, on it.

I heard the same about source stealth heads too... I even heard of castings breaking on them.
I read a suggestion from Edelbrock to a customer that he should probably at least lap the valves on his new heads,,,,, Lots of stories to be read and plenty of negatives to believe if you look hard enough..... Mine have titanium keepers, bronze guides, stainless valves,,,, all the stuff you would buy to assemble a good head....

I don't have any way of knowing what add your looking at...
As far as Stealth heads VS Edelbrock or ProComp "Victor" type heads, you would be comparing apples to oranges. The Victor style head is a much higher performance design than the 440 Source Stealth head. The Victor style head has raised ports, relocated valves, Heart shaped "low cc" combustion chambers, Larger valves, larger runners.

44o Source makes a Stealth head that does fit into that catagory, it is the Super Stealth. These castings are raised runner with straightened intake runners. Will need a .650 offset rocker. The flow numbers are pretty competitive and remains to have stock appearance.

Like i said, some of the Chinese crap is **** at first. But alot of the altered-crank guys get them from there. So what I am saying, is there is a learning curve on the cheap Chinese ****. Most long-stroke cranks come from there. But we taught them how to make good cranks. They are quick to fix problems. I dont like it either, but we have to face the new-world economics. It is cheaper to mine, smelt, cast, machine, package, ship to the USA, than what EDDY charges for a set of their VERY GOOD heads! I blame the government for not having "protectionist policies" like every other nation, to protect our interests.

Like i said, some of the Chinese crap is **** at first. But alot of the altered-crank guys get them from there. So what I am saying, is there is a learning curve on the cheap Chinese ****. Most long-stroke cranks come from there. But we taught them how to make good cranks. They are quick to fix problems. I dont like it either, but we have to face the new-world economics. It is cheaper to mine, smelt, cast, machine, package, ship to the USA, than what EDDY charges for a set of their VERY GOOD heads! I blame the government for not having "protectionist policies" like every other nation, to protect our interests.

Well, I was reading Mopar Muscle magazine the other day, low and behold many of the engine builders in the big block build off were using 440 source heads for their builds. I agree that american made is the way to go but affordable power is king when on a budget. Fact is I would not put an INDY HEAD on my motor without checking it out first. I guess you can say meticulous but nothing out of box is getting bolted on without checking and rechecking. I believe it has been proven that economical parts can make power but where are you willing to choose economy, just saying.

I run the stealth heads out of the box and they work fine lots of power and no issues. best $900 i spent. Chinese crap or not lol which they are cast in lala land by slaves then machined here in the states(called to verify) and believe me I hate china's garbage as much a the next guy but for the price if they blow up then I got what I deserved for buying slavery parts ha!

Pro comp heads work well. However, a lot of grinding to get pushrod clearance needs to be done before they can be used. That is a high lift cam. Good value, but, a lot of work Rocker arms are iffy.

Pro comp heads work well. However, a lot of grinding to get pushrod clearance needs to be done before they can be used. That is a high lift cam. Good value, but, a lot of work Rocker arms are iffy.

I read that the Edelbrock version required the same thing for push rod clearance. Mine were already done from the factory however...... I was told that it's something to "verify" but might not need work in that area.
For those wondering, at one time the pushrods would scuff along the length of them where they pass through the head. From the looks of things, it seems as if they are being opened up more during factory machining now.
The rockers have been re-designed / updated as well! The guy I got my stud girdle from and a few other parts actualy worked with ProComp on the new design / updates.... My stuff will soon be a year old, and I plan on putting some good miles on it this summer again.... So far so good on my stuff!

Like I said, the Chinese stuff will be crap at first, but they catch-up FAST! I read posts of Pro-Comp rockers failing. Now, 2 years later, folks are saying they are having good results. I try not to be overly-nationalist. But remember, most of us rodders have been buying SHITTY Mr. Gasket Taiwan chrome parts for the last 30 years!!!! They rust nearly as fast as bare metal!

Like I said, the Chinese stuff will be crap at first, but they catch-up FAST! I read posts of Pro-Comp rockers failing. Now, 2 years later, folks are saying they are having good results. I try not to be overly-nationalist. But remember, most of us rodders have been buying SHITTY Mr. Gasket Taiwan chrome parts for the last 30 years!!!! They rust nearly as fast as bare metal!

They catch up fast because no engineering costs, no R&D, and just hijack another design. Bad for protected businesses and trade mark items. The consumer gets a low cost knock off. Should I feel bad? Marketing is a beautiful thing in the fact someone will always be willing to purchase a knock-off, right.

Auto Transport Service
Back