• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proform Alternator one wire.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
Ok since you now know the make of the alternator there is a recent issue with it. It has been working with no issues for a while. Now the fld brush was poking out and I could see that it was not riding on the copper ring. I took it out and repaired it just to see if it would charge. I reinstalled it and the alternator worked fine. But shortly after it took a dump on me again. Ordered new brushes and installed them. Worked for about the same amount of time then died again. I assume its the internal regulator that went bad and its over charging to the point that it smokes the brushes. I was not there when they replaced the brushes with the new ones. But I did notice that the Proform PDF says to ground the case of the alternator. It was never grounded even before the brushes cooked and fell out. I think the regulator went bad.

The car is a 70 GTX but when they installed the Vintage air into the car they could not use the power master GM style alternator. They installed the one that came on the crate engine the Proform one. The GM style didn't have any issues but it wouldn't work with the brackets for the compressor. Am I on the right track thinking the regulator went south? I wasn't able check the voltage output when I was there I left my meter at the house.

Auto Transport Service
Back