• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper Storage/Cleaning

InViolet70

Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here and a proud new owner of a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner. I wanted to pick your all's brain on how you clean your cars. To give you an idea of the environment mine will be in is a oil furnace heated garage that is sealed with spray foam. No humidity in the winter and a slight bit in the summer. My concern here is rust, the car is completely restored with only one spot where it had a reese hitch at one point, small. When cleaning your all's cars, do you use water, waterless bath, or simply just wipe it done with a microfiber rag frequently? Give me your opinion with detail if you could or even share the products you use. ALSO, do you ever put a cover over your car? What brand? Thank you!

I did cross post this because I did not know where it should go. If need be I will delete. Attached picture is not my car, but identical
1970-plymouth-road-runner.jpg

Last edited:
I never wash mine.
I use a spray detailer (Meguirs) and a micro-fiber towel.
But others here have had great results with other products.

But we really need pictures to know what we're working on...

What color is the paint? Makes a difference on the care of it.

Don't be frequently wiping it with a towel. You see these people at a show constantly wiping off the paint, bad idea.

I wash with soap and water. Polish and wax when needed.

What color is the paint? Makes a difference on the care of it.

Don't be frequently wiping it with a towel. You see these people at a show constantly wiping off the paint, bad idea.

I wash with soap and water. Polish and wax when needed.
In Violet

I do wet wash mine but not with a hose like a modern car. I just a get a half bucket of water, a cloth and a chamois. I go around the car a panel at a time, wet wipe the dust off that panel and then dry immediately. There's no running water going into gaps, seams etc. I can go around the whole car in less than 10 minutes and it comes up good.
I don't drive in the rain (but have been caught occasionally) and live in quite a dry place so there's no muddy crap to wash off the underside like you get in some places.
I've also sprayed inside every chassis rail, seam, hole, panel etc with a mixture of Penetrol and Morris Ankor Wax to prevent future problems.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

I spray mine off at the hand held car wash after hitting the front with some bug be gone. Any tuff spots or tar/ rubber on the lowers I use the hand mit.
Shammy it off and go.
I use wizard products for wax and mist detail.
No cover during storage.

Auto Transport Service
Back