• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PS car driven with PS pump deactivated

Hein4

Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my 69 small block (318, no AC) b body that originally has a Saginaw PS pump and seemingly original steering gear.

The pump leaks like hell from the shaft so I cannot go anywhere with the pump working. I have ordered a rebuild kit, but it will take around 2 weeks until it is due to arrive.
I have two questions:

1. Will it be problematic for the steering mechanism in the long run (mechanically) if I just disconnect the belt and drive the car without PS support?
2. Does it make a difference for the steering mechanism if PS fluid is present in the system or does the steering mechanism need the fluid solely for the steering support?

To be clear: I would only cruise to work and back, no hard turns etc...
But I am a bit worried about a problem with the steering mechanism.

What is your take on the issue?
Thanks in advance!

Plug both ends of the hose real good so fluid stays in the box.

I've clamped a bolt in the return hose before.

You may still get some drippage.

Any time you turn the wheel, it will try to force out fluid.

It will be REAL difficult to turn the wheel.

In general, I'd advise against it.

I've only done it to move a vehicle from one spot to another, or one very short trip.

Did the box work good? It won’t after you drive it with no pump.

There is a big dead spot where the wheel can move back and forth and not turn the wheels. The effort to turn the wheel it is very high, it can aggravate any sore parts in your upper body. Plus a bit dangerous because you can’t steer quick enough to avoid danger on the road.

I wouldnt plug the hoses and turn the wheel either, not how it is meant to work. I’d put the hoses in a gallon jug to catch the fluid that will be coming out when the wheel is turned.

I have done it when I blew a pressure hose, it’s not fun, and I doubt it’s is any good for the box. I wouldn’t do it in your case. Drive something else.

Or just “upgrade“ to manual steering

Could route the hose back into the gearbox.

Probably the best "bad" solution.

I had a P/S belt break on 2 different Chevys and just drove them until I got a new belt. There was no problem with how they worked after restoring the function of the pump.
Mopar steering boxes may be different though. They all seem to have that on center slop that is reduced when the engine is running and the pump is operating. I don't know if there would be any accelerated wear from operating the car without fluid pressure but my guess is that it shouldn't be excessive. I suggest that if you do drive it, DO connect the hydraulic lines to minimize spills. The fluid will move around but not leak out and no contaminants will get in.

Ok guys, a clear vote so far not to drive the car just for fun with no PS support. Thank you.

One thing I obviously did not make clear is the following: I have no need to plug any hoses as the pump is still in place, just without the belt. The fluid level is unter the shaft, so I reckon there will be no spillage when driving lightly.

The steering worked fine before the pump messed up. The integrity of the steering box really is my only concern.

Auto Transport Service
Back