• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PS pump mis-alignment

1967 satellite

Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
My power steering pump is mis-aligned with the water pump pulley by 1/4". See rough diagram (picture doesn't show much). When looking at the engine the water pump pulley and the left side power steering pump pulley is in line. The right side of the power steering pump pulley is approx 1/4" forward. I have been racking my brains out what to do with no success. Any ideas?

20220910_155439[1].jpg

Attachments

• PS PULLEY.pdf
    256.1 KB · Views: 99
Can the pump be moved behind the bracket painted blue and shorten up your spacers. Just a thought. Is that the original pump or a replacement. If it was not for bad luck, we would have no luck at all sometimes. Just ask me how I know. Installed a classic air on my car and it about drove me to no end with the bracket they sent with it. :BangHead:

Shouldn't the crank be driving the fan and alternator and the ps driven by a dedicated crank pulley groove? Do you have the original fan pulley and ps pump or were they changed?

It looks to me that you are using a Factory A/C w/pump pulley, which sets to far forward IMO.
You need a non A/C waterpump pulley.... you can buy them @ 440source.com or Bouchillion
also has V-groove pulleys too.

That is an A/C fan pulley used with an idler pulley bolted to the right side. The power steering belt goes straight to the crank pulley. I'm not sure what that power steering lowering bracket is from? Van or motorhome maybe, might not work with non A/C pulleys, you'll just have to test fit and see.

As said above the power steering pump is driven directly off the crank pulley. Check the very end of Service Manual section 7/cooling-- for the various belt routing diagrams.

Shouldn't the crank be driving the fan and alternator and the ps driven by a dedicated crank pulley groove? Do you have the original fan pulley and ps pump or were they changed?
The setup is as I get it with the car. Did not notice the problem till I changed the belt.

As said above the power steering pump is driven directly off the crank pulley. Check the very end of Service Manual section 7/cooling-- for the various belt routing diagrams.
Will do this week. Been extremely busy. Thanks for the reply.

Will do this week. Been extremely busy. Thanks for the reply.

Can the pump be moved behind the bracket painted blue and shorten up your spacers. Just a thought. Is that the original pump or a replacement. If it was not for bad luck, we would have no luck at all sometimes. Just ask me how I know. Installed a classic air on my car and it about drove me to no end with the bracket they sent with it. :BangHead:
The set up is what was on the car. Didn't notice the problem till I changed the belt.

Auto Transport Service
Back