• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling the Engine

bobs66440

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I know a lot of you guys are veterans of yanking the motor out of your B-Bodies. I'm about to do mine and am looking for the simplest way...I'm assuming all B-Bodies are about the same.

1. Pull motor & trans (4 speed) together
2. Pull trans first then motor.
3. Pull motor and leave trans in the car

Advice? Tips, tricks? Thanks!

The last one that I pulled I took the 4 bolts out of the transmission and suported the transmission with a small cable type come along attached to the torsion bars just to hold it in place. Then pulled the engine along with the bellhousing. Then I used a floor jack to take the transmission out. Then when reinstalling I put the engine with bellhousing in the car first then used 2 long studs put into the lower bellhousing to guide the transmission in place then installed the 2 top bolts, removed the lower studs and installed the lower bolts bolts. That was the easiest way for me.

My running buddy always pulls the motor and trans together. Handy if you're gonna do work to both. Can be tricky clearance depending on oil pan etc. I've pulled some that way and also just the motor by itself. If I weren't gonna do anything to the trans, then I'd just pull the motor

Just a quick piece of advice from experience. If the front wheels come off the ground, STOP!

I always pull motor and trans together. But, I've always pulled autos not manuals.

Get yourself a load leveler,one of those things with a long screw that moves the lifting point forward or back while the engine is hanging.If you pull with the trans on,have a yoke or proper plug in the tailshaft to avoid a spill.Have a friend to jack while you watch,go slow and be safe.

Are you doind any suspension work or k frame resto? If so support the drive train and take the 4 k bolts out,take the torsion bars loose and unbolt the crossmember and disconnect the little things and raise the body off the car. Check out Hemimarks thread on fabo. I have done my last two like this.

I have always pulled them as a unit when I can....

My running buddy always pulls the motor and trans together. Handy if you're gonna do work to both. Can be tricky clearance depending on oil pan etc. I've pulled some that way and also just the motor by itself. If I weren't gonna do anything to the trans, then I'd just pull the motor

I do

Attachments

• P6290578.JPG
    P6290578.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 266
  • P8100843.JPG
    P8100843.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 268
  • P8260034.JPG
    P8260034.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 260
  • P8260037.JPG
    P8260037.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 282
  • P8260041.JPG
    P8260041.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 260
moparstuart-looking at your pictures,i never would have thought to raise the rear of the car up to pull the motor out,but it makes sense that it would make it easier to pull the motor/tranny out.i will have to try that when i get ready to pull mine out to have it rebuilt.thanks for the pictures.

moparstuart-looking at your pictures,i never would have thought to raise the rear of the car up to pull the motor out,but it makes sense that it would make it easier to pull the motor/tranny out.i will have to try that when i get ready to pull mine out to have it rebuilt.thanks for the pictures.

Ditto!

Just did mine, I have done dozens over the years(mopars) this is the first time doing it from the bottom worked great they even make a cradle to do this, if you plan on pulling engines out in the future this is the only way to go especially if hood is on the car ect didn't even have to remove radiator.

Did quite a few. Different ways. Once you do it by lowering the k-frame assy(actually raising the body), you'll never want to do it any other way.

Auto Transport Service
Back