• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

QA1 engine location.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Ok after getting the parts together to install the CH4B intake so that the oval air cleaner would fit I ran into another problem. The height of the air cleaner is perfect now. But the engine is sitting too far back. I don't see any mounts out there that will move the engine forward about an inch. The car has a QA1 tubular K-Frame. Now the base hits the wiper motor. I know that's too far back there should be more room. So if anyone has any ideas let me know.

I double check to make sure it was a 440 base which it is.

My QA1 K has the motor in its stock location, I dont recall ever reading anything about it setting the motor back..

Wish the car was still here so I could take some pictures. But yes its too far back and the air cleaner hits the wiper motor. The tube coming out of the back hits too. Not real sure why but I made a video from under the hood and I will upload it. Its not great but you can see the airgrabber setup top hitting the rubber gasket.

Wish the car was still here so I could take some pictures. But yes its too far back and the air cleaner hits the wiper motor. The tube coming out of the back hits too. Not real sure why but I made a video from under the hood and I will upload it. Its not great but you can see the airgrabber setup top hitting the rubber gasket.
Did you have to modify your trans cross member? If not, then the engine is sitting in its stock location
Mine is a 52315 which is a direct replacement for 66-70 B bodies...
They do make the stands if you decide to modify it...

Ok after getting the parts together to install the CH4B intake so that the oval air cleaner would fit I ran into another problem. The height of the air cleaner is perfect now. But the engine is sitting too far back. I don't see any mounts out there that will move the engine forward about an inch. The car has a QA1 tubular K-Frame. Now the base hits the wiper motor. I know that's too far back there should be more room. So if anyone has any ideas let me know.

I double check to make sure it was a 440 base which it is.
I think that base requires a 3 speed wiper motor. If you have a 2 speed that could be your problem. As said if the motor and trans are using the stock tranny x-member it is in the correct place.

I think that base requires a 3 speed wiper motor. If you have a 2 speed that could be your problem. As said if the motor and trans are using the stock tranny x-member it is in the correct place.
That makes sense. Thanks. I just wonder why the air grabber under the hood isnt far enough back.

Did you have to modify your trans cross member? If not, then the engine is sitting in its stock location
Mine is a 52315 which is a direct replacement for 66-70 B bodies...
They do make the stands if you decide to modify it...
It has a 5 speed manual box. So I'm sure it has a custom trans crossmember. That also make sense.

This will be the video when its uploaded. Not the best view but look at the left side of the video.

Video doesn't show the wiper motor !!

Also, how do you know the carb is in the same position on the CH4B as it is on a stock intake ?!?!

That intake should easily fit under an air grabber setup. I am with the others thinking you have a 2-speed wiper motor. I have seen guys notch the base, but none of the air grabber/ramcharger cars came with a 2-speed wiper motor from the factory.

Video doesn't show the wiper motor !!

Also, how do you know the carb is in the same position on the CH4B as it is on a stock intake ?!?!
Others have used the CH4b and it works supposed to be an exact copy of an Iron intake. I know I will have to see if I have a picture of the wiper motor. This picture was before the intake swap.

FDYM5657[1].JPG

That intake should easily fit under an air grabber setup. I am with the others thinking you have a 2-speed wiper motor. I have seen guys notch the base, but none of the air grabber/ramcharger cars came with a 2-speed wiper motor from the factory.
Yes no problem with the intake. Either the engine is sitting back an inch too far or his hood is out of whack. Its an AMD hood. The car is a 70 GTX I know this is not the correct air cleaner for the car but he wants the Oval one. Anyhow the car has a TKO 5-speed transmission. So I think maybe that and the transmission cross member may be effecting the position of the engine.

Others have used the CH4b and it works supposed to be an exact copy of an Iron intake. I know I will have to see if I have a picture of the wiper motor. This picture was before the intake swap.

View attachment 1191315
The pic shows the 3-speed wiper motor you need, so unfortunately that is not your problem.

I have been looking at TKO to Mopar Crossmembers. If they installed the Silver Sport kit in the car the crossmember doesnt have slots for the transmission mount. So Im thinking its possible they have it pushed back too far. On that same note I saw another brand that had the transmount bolt holes slotted.

Here is the TKO SST kit.
sst_66-70_b-body_std_a.gif

Here is the other one I found.
huu-67520000_hk_xl.jpg

I have that same tko kit, and it does have slotted holes for location, but you can’t move the engine with the trans mount. The engine mounts are in a fixed location. Now, if the engine mount brackets were bolted to the front of the block lugs instead of the rear, that would move the engine back.

I have that same tko kit, and it does have slotted holes for location, but you can’t move the engine with the trans mount. The engine mounts are in a fixed location. Now, if the engine mount brackets were bolted to the front of the block lugs instead of the rear, that would move the engine back.
I looked and think they are on the rear. When I get him to bring the car back I will check it out further.

If that's a '70 car then the problem is simply the air cleaner. It's not correct for that year and that's why it doesn't clear the hood properly.

Also, the engine "may be" at the wrong angle. If you were to shim the trans up 1/4" at the mount it would probably allow everything to clear.

OK spoke to him a little last night. He said the receipts say American Powertrain TKO now I do not know if this was a kit or not. I know a transmission is a transmission a TKO is a TKO. So now I just have no clue as to why it doesn't fit. He does have a rather large gap at the back of the hood. Which may be part of the issue. Its almost a half inch away from the upper cowl when closed.

Auto Transport Service
Back