• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

quandary- Truetrac or USA Standard Powr Lok Aggressive?

Trey

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
I've searched till my fingers bled, then when I thought I figured it out the Dude at Randy's Ring changed my mind.
I thought the Eaton Truetrac was the best for a purely street car with about 500hp/tq in the newer 8 3/4 housing but he sold me the USA Standard Powr Lok Aggressive- He stated the Eaton has a delay and cannot be rebuilt and the 'aggressive' is a better choice than the 'smooth'.

Anyone gone through the same struggle making this decision?

Frank, I can send it back- no worries there. I just don't have any experience with either. Guess I was sold on the engineering of the Truetrac and the fact that someone wore out this 8 year old Powr Lok, with much less power. I would abandon it and go Dana but money is being spent making the engine right.

What’s the plans for the engine? A lot of guys on here running the turetrac they seem to love it.

Yeah, that's part of the reason I wanted one.

Engine will be a healthy 400 stroker.

I don't have an exact target, but looks like around 500 or so. I won't do any track days and such, just lots or smokey burnouts with street tires.

I dumped a sure grip for a truetrac, just under 1000 miles later and I'm still happy. I won't do a clutch setup ever again, no special fluids needed and I doubt I'll ever wear the truetrac out. They can handle some serious power. Lots of off-rad guys swear by them also. Then again I had a lot of issues with my Dr. Diff power lock, after 5 times tearing it apart I went truetrac !

I have a tru-trac in my 8 3/4, I very happy with it. I have not noticed a delay in its operation and it is smooth. The car corners better than when it had the clutch style limited slip. I do not know how it compares to the power lock you are considering.
My friend put tru-trac's in front and rear in his ford bronco with 40 inch tires. Dana 44 front, ford 9 inch in the back. Worked very well for him.

Trey, I remember reading that mopar installed the Dana-60 Power lok in any thing at 375HP and above and for a good reason. I know this new torsen gizmo is supposed to be the majic mama and may very well be but they have to move/slide in and out on the newer vehicles they are going in and that is a heck a lot of a being half way in and half way out under full power I would think. Now, the powerlok unit itself has been being manufactured again by several companies { thank the lord} as well as internal parts and can actually be setup tighter or looser with different facings on the clutch plates and different thickness for an extra plate or shimming for thghtness for drag or looser for spirited driving and powering into and out of tight curves, not rain slick. Heck of a deal ain't it! Plus you have a choice of axle splines which is another story. over the years I've had and worked on most all American types of posi and lockers but I hugely favor the Dana powerlok, 9 inchers have a huge gathering also but that means Ford ?

I've searched till my fingers bled, then when I thought I figured it out the Dude at Randy's Ring changed my mind.
I thought the Eaton Truetrac was the best for a purely street car with about 500hp/tq in the newer 8 3/4 housing but he sold me the USA Standard Powr Lok Aggressive- He stated the Eaton has a delay and cannot be rebuilt and the 'aggressive' is a better choice than the 'smooth'.

Anyone gone through the same struggle making this decision?

Only speaking from my experience. I changed from the Mopar SureGrip to an Eaton Truetrac when I put a narrowed Moser Fabbed 8 3/4" in my street car about a year ago, and which gets driven a lot. 13" wide M/T Street Radials and 3.91s. I love how smooth the operation is and have not noticed any 'delay'. I'd buy the exact same set-up again next time.

Very helpful, thank you all. I think I'm going to call Randy's and have them send out the Truetrac- can't believe I'm getting soft in my older age- I never used to let people talk me out of stuff. If I blow up this setup I'll graduate to a dana 60.

Very helpful, thank you all. I think I'm going to call Randy's and have them send out the Truetrac- can't believe I'm getting soft in my older age- I never used to let people talk me out of stuff. If I blow up this setup I'll graduate to a dana 60.
Hell just return what ya got call dr diff and order a strange s 60 with the s Trac differential.

Trey, I remember reading that mopar installed the Dana-60 Power lok in any thing at 375HP and above and for a good reason. I know this new torsen gizmo is supposed to be the majic mama and may very well be but they have to move/slide in and out on the newer vehicles they are going in and that is a heck a lot of a being half way in and half way out under full power I would think. Now, the powerlok unit itself has been being manufactured again by several companies { thank the lord} as well as internal parts and can actually be setup tighter or looser with different facings on the clutch plates and different thickness for an extra plate or shimming for thghtness for drag or looser for spirited driving and powering into and out of tight curves, not rain slick. Heck of a deal ain't it! Plus you have a choice of axle splines which is another story. over the years I've had and worked on most all American types of posi and lockers but I hugely favor the Dana powerlok, 9 inchers have a huge gathering also but that means Ford ?

I'm working on a problem with a Powr-Lok in a Dana 60. Problem is that it acts more like a spool than a LSD. I'm learning that diffferent parts in the clutch pack have a large effect on the wheel torque. I'd like to loosen mine up but have no clue about how to set up the clutch stacks to do that. Is there a site that outlines the various combinations and what the result is?

Steve

I'm working on a problem with a Powr-Lok in a Dana 60. Problem is that it acts more like a spool than a LSD. I'm learning that diffferent parts in the clutch pack have a large effect on the wheel torque. I'd like to loosen mine up but have no clue about how to set up the clutch stacks to do that. Is there a site that outlines the various combinations and what the result is?

Steve
Something's definitely going on with the power-locks these days... mine began excessively binding and chattering and locking up also. Took it back to the shop that built it, they couldn't figure it out so they ended up switching out a bevel plate on each side for a flat one. Worked okay for a while, and then started doing the same thing again. Everything is fairly new, and it only does it after driving for awhile gets it good and hot... It's almost like it's not getting the lubrication in where it needs to be even though I've tried different oils and use plenty of additive etc.. you might start a new thread and post up your issues it'll get a lot more views that way, I just realized this is the tail end of an old thread yikes!

Auto Transport Service
Back