• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about 1965 #3861 2X4 hemi carburetors

nbfalj

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Carter carbs the other day that have tags on them with the number 3861s and date code D5. They are on Ebay now, item number 320892901700. After spending several hours trying to find specific application for these carbs I'm still not sure. From what info I can find it seems they took the 3705 that was used on production 426 wedge cars, modified some internals, and renamed it 3861 for the first 426 Hemi in late 1964. Skipping ahead then, Chrysler didn't put a 426 Hemi in a production car for the public until 1966. By then they were using different carbs. So what exactly were the 3861 carbs for? It would seem they were only put on factory race cars and never put on a production car for the public? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

the 3861's were the early 1964 426 hemi cross ram carbs. by mid 1964 they were replaced by the 3116 holley on the cross ram engines. they're basically a 3705 with changes to suit the race hemi.

Thanks for reply. Couple more quick questions.

The tags on carbs read 3861s and under that is D5. Is the D5 a date code? Is it correct that 3861 carbs were never put on a car that was sold to the public? Also these carbs are not stamped with 3861 on the carb itself but only have the tags. With no number stamped on carbs, and never put on a production car for public consumption, were these originally sold over the counter or put on a factory race car? An article at maxwedge.com says that the carbs would be stamped if sold over the counter? Just trying to get a firm grip on exactly what these carbs are. Thanks again for your expertise on subject. Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back