• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about spring sliders.

Canadian1968

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
I've been reading up on rear leaf spring sliders . Thinking about building a set for my car. But as I go threw various threads about them. Some of them mention about changing the front hanger as well? Does the front hanger need to be changed if I were to stick with a factory XHD spring, or even possibly split mono leafs ? I know that the MP SS springs do need longer hangers , but if I am using original, I don't understand why any change to the front would need ?

Looking for some clarification

Nothing at the front needs to be changed. As for sliders ...they're cheap enough not to waste time and effort making your own. Cal-tracs sells them as well as Speedway and a few others. I personally shied away from them because I was told they're "noisy" and after buying a set I could understand why and opted to go with stock hangers with my Cal-trac monoleafs. Mine is not a race car so I'm not after every ounce of performance.

Hey, I'm just down the road from you (Brantford) !!

Have you seen this:

One thing to note, If you mount sliders and the rail that the shackles are on now it will lower the car SIGNIFICANTLY. Those "frames" are shorter than the inner frames AND you'll be losing 2 or 3 inches from the spring eye in the shackle to the spring eye in the slider.

I did check out that thread. There a few others as well.

Agreed, that is one thing I also read was it will lower the ride height . Now that could be altered with some fab work . Basically adding making a bracket for the slider to mount to. The bracket would set the height and could also be made to add an angle to the slider which has also been recommended in some of the information I have read. Some of the aftermarket sets have this built in ( caltrac have a 5* slope I belive.)

I'm still throwing numbers around in my head. At the end of the day, the number 1 thing I need is new springs.

Factory XHD would be the cheapest

Mopar SS springs are a bit more for the springs themselves but ALSO require new front hangers. This puts price very close to set of split mono leafs

Split mono leafs are the most expensive initially but are a direct bolt in, also have a considerable weight savings. I would definitely try them with the factory pinion snubber adjusted correctly before even thinking of the cal Trac system .

What ever spring setup I go with , I would like to install and test first. I can add the sliders at any point .

Auto Transport Service
Back