• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XHD 6/7 springs and shocks info

68Satellite440

Local time
3:31 AM
Reaction score
Afternoon Fellas,
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I always like to take the opportunity to create a thread to fully clarify a problem in case someone has the same problem as me and find the answers here.
Some of you guys are Mopar Racing Encyclopedias and there isn’t many Mopar guys here in my part of southern Oklahoma to easily contact.

I upgraded my ‘68 Sport Satellite with 440 from the factory 4 leaf springs to 6/7 leaf springs from ESPO.

I have another post about Monroe shocks 30273, that I broke the passenger side shock eyelet weld after a brake held launch.
The Monroe is only 22.5” at full extension.
From what I’ve read, lots of people use C-body or truck shocks (Ranchos) or Ramcharger shocks that are 24-25” at full extension or adding shock extensions.

I wish I had know this prior to ordering the Monroes and saved myself some time and headaches.

If you have experience with this and have shock recommendations, please add them below for myself and others, or if you have any of old street racing tricks, we love to hear them.

My other question for the readers is, for proper leaf spring action to get the car to hook up, should I remove all the leaf clamps behind the axle, and possibly add more to front?
Im not sure what the plugs thru are, possibly alignment hole from factory? Don’t appear to be rivets.
(ESPO Springs have 2 clamps in front and 2 in rear) see attached photo.

AEE3C451-6B6E-4F3C-B100-5BC9399E57B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Big Bill had some shock extensions for sale a while back.
I ran them for years

I currently use the KYB KG5413 and have no complaints. They are 24.45" extended.

I currently use the shocks from Cal Trac (Ranchos, I think). When I had stock springs I used longer shocks from Mopar Performance. Longer, adjustable shocks in the rear are worth the money. This winter I'm goiing to switch up to QA-1s.....I have Cal Tracs on both the Barracuda and the Charger.

I currently use the shocks from Cal Trac (Ranchos, I think). When I had stock springs I used longer shocks from Mopar Performance. Longer, adjustable shocks in the rear are worth the money. This winter I'm goiing to switch up to QA-1s.....I have Cal Tracs on both the Barracuda and the Charger.
Are the adjustable shocks crucial to helping with traction on the street?

Crucial = Probably not.

Just be sure that there is enough extension length.

But I run Calvert sourced springs and shocks exclusively on
my street cars as well as the race cars.

We do not like to lose Street Races = Particularly when there is
a chunk of money involved.

Crucial = Probably not.

Just be sure that there is enough extension length.

But I run Calvert sourced springs and shocks exclusively on
my street cars as well as the race cars.

We do not like to lose Street Races = Particularly when there is
a chunk of money involved.
I agree, I don’t care much for losing either.
I got called out for a race against my buddies 454 Camaro with ladder bars. So I really need my car hooking up. Thats why im asking all these questions.

I got started racing chargers with another 73 street car 440 auto that I got to go 13.20 on a great day. It would move ahead a few feet and then spin.... almost like a tire shake. Longer shocks fixed that. At least adjustable shocks will allow some control of rise and tire plant.

For street or strip traction with leaf springs I think Cal Tracs or equivalent are the ticket. My experience has been Cal Tracs on stock springs work great.

Bry

Auto Transport Service
Back