• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for all the Aussie's - fine filler?

YY1

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
I watched a youtube video from a guy called "The GunMan" about removing runs in paint.

He spoke with a pretty thick down under accent.

His trick was to apply "fine filler" over the runs to create something to protect the finish on either side of the run from being sanded down to metal.

Also, it acted like a gauge- sand through the filler to the finish, and the run has been sanded off as well.

Pretty slick.

So, my question is- what is "fine filler"? I've not heard that term before.

Thanks.

Like "regular" Bondo?

Is he possibly talking about spot putty ?

I thought about that too, but it went on with an applicator-more like bondo but seemed to flow better, and spot putty would sand a lot more easily than a hardened enamel run.

To remove a run or sag in clear coat , We use a piece of paint stick { size depends on the size of the sag } wrap tight with 2000 paper keep the area wet with water , sand the sag flat to the level of the rest of the clear coat then go on it again with 3000 then buff. Never use anything soft like your finger or a rubber block, that will remove the clear coat outside of the run/sag and burn down to the color coat, If you have a sag in a concave area use a piece of wood dowel to work it out.
take your time, the newer the paint the faster you will remove the run, not to say this guys deal isn't good for him but I like to see & feel what is going on.
dust nibs can be removed the same way,
{fish eyes in clear} if you just have a couple can be scuffed with 2000 and then filled with some mixed up clear coat, takes a few applications with a touch up brush but once your repair is higher than the rest of the finish you can then sand it flat with the 2000/3000 and buff.
Just thought I would toss this out if you don't want to smear filler on your new paint job.

The first time that I saw the idea for using glazing putty for removing runs was a tutorial on the Sherwin-Williams site, but that info is gone now.

Auto Transport Service
Back