• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for fellow Canadians ordering parts from USA

Wrong. The "free trade agreement" which, as you may recall, was drastically revamped by Trump, ONLY applies to US, Mexico and Canada - PERIOD. What the hell's it called now ... the USMCA or some ******* thing !?!? Anyhow, any offshore stuff, such as ALL AMD's stuff, is still subject to duty. Now, does it get charged? Well there's no doubt that if you're a business importing the stuff, like Nigel, you're going to get hit. As to the average Joe getting hit, it will all depend on circumstances.

If you buy from AMD and pick up in the U.S. your invoice will not indicate the country of origin. So at the border you'd be unlikely to have to pay "duty".

HOWEVER, (and anyone who runs a business can relate to this) if the items are shipped cross border the commercial invoice will state the "country of origin" and either the seller or their shipper/broker will charge the duty. And the reason for this is because AMD (or whoever) paid that duty in the U.S. when the stuff landed and, since its now leaving the U.S., they can claim that duty back from the IRS. To this point, if you're a business owner in Canada, whenever you buy product you pay the tax but when you sell the product you only remit the difference between the tax you paid and the tax you charged. In other words you don't pay the tax twice. The same applies to duty.

Bottom line, depending on circumstances, there could be duty to be paid.
Yes, I know the old Free Trade agreement was reworked, but for simplicity, most people still know it by that decades old name. Any offshore duty charges on parts are already incorporated in the U.S. or Canadian dealer's price. I am saying that I have NEVER been charged a separate duty fee on the many parts I have bought from U.S.A. If you are building a car in Canada, you are certainly buying the majority of your parts from a U.S. dealer. I would expect that if you were to buy parts directly from a Chinese supplier, you would have to pay duty, but I don't know how the average hobbyist would do that. I am speaking from the point of view as a common Joe building a car, not as a commercial business. I once tried to buy a gas tank for my R/T. They are made by Spectra in Stratford, Ontario, about 50 miles from where I live. They will not sell to private individuals; only to parts dealers. With taxes, but no duty, the cost from my local guy would have been $550.00 Can. I bought the same tank from RockAuto. Landed at my door, with HST and shipping, my cost was $350.00 Can. This part crossed the border twice,and I saved $200.00! Under the trade pact, RockAuto would not have paid duty on this because of Canadian manufacture.

It's called CUSMA... Here's how to figure if you pay duty or not. And remember, tax is based on Canadian dollars, not the country buying from.

Last edited:
With the exchange rate the way it is, I love buying parts in Canada... rear sway bar for my truck at wrecking yards: $2-300 US. Got one from LKQ in London for $65US. Hood for my truck from dealer is $1400 US, bought it from dealer in Hamilton for $650, which is same price junkyards want for a 10yr old one..

Auto Transport Service
Back