• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question for the electrical gurus

Gray Ghost

Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
Noticed on the 66 Charger the other day that the left side stop lights are not coming on. Right side does come on. Both blinkers work and both sides running lights work. After a quick inspection of the wiring that appears to be OK I noticed in the FSM wiring diagram that the stop lamp wiring runs through the blinker switch, could that be the problem? I'm lost so asking the pros...
Thanks in advance,
Evan

I think you're right, most likely the turn signal switch on the column. I haven't had great luck with the reproduction pieces and just put an NOS piece in earlier this year.

If all the lamps and grounds and connections along the cable route check out fine.....look into the turn signal switch.

It is a common problem that nobody likes to talk about as much....:eek:

Thanks for the replies guys, and hey 7t500, where did you find a NOS one? All I can find are repops....

Thanks for the replies guys, and hey 7t500, where did you find a NOS one? All I can find are repops....

I searched high and low with the original part number and a few other cross reference/superseded part numbers until I found one, which was on ebay.

A quick search shows that you would want to look for part numbers 2822170, 2631383, or 2258700. I don't have a parts book so I can't verify the original part number and the superseded ones, unfortunately... if you can find someone that is able to look up the original part and the cross referenced parts, that may be best.

Noticed on the 66 Charger the other day that the left side stop lights are not coming on. Right side does come on. Both blinkers work and both sides running lights work. After a quick inspection of the wiring that appears to be OK I noticed in the FSM wiring diagram that the stop lamp wiring runs through the blinker switch, could that be the problem? I'm lost so asking the pros...
Thanks in advance,
Evan

When my turn signal switch was bad, I had no brake lights. I did have blinkers, headlights, and running lights -- just no brake lights. i found the problem in the blinker switch -- soldered it, and it's been working great now for 11 years.

I have the same problem, mine is the right brake light that doesn't work. Has anyone used this turn signal switch they sell at RockAuto?

172_SM102_1__ra_p.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Maxrat. Didn't want to pull mine apart until I had a new one in hand just in case. And to qkcuda: don't know about the RockAuto one but the Summit one had a terrible review so I bought mine at Mopar Mall. Haven't put it in yet so can't speak to it's quality.

I had a problem years ago with one side brake light not working.
After pulling the wheel I was able to clean and make a little adjustment inside the assembly.
No problems since, so you may be able to fix the one thats in there.

What am I looking for, just a loose connection?

If I remember correctly (this was maybe 25 years ago...)
The switch under the steering wheel makes the brake light when the lever is in the center position.
It breaks the normally closed contact and makes a normally open contact for left or right when the lever is moved.
I found the normally closed did not quite touch, on and off.
I think I might have shimmed something in there. A long, long time ago.

Interesting, because in order to get the right turn signal to work I need to push it a little past the normal detent. It is the right side brake light that doesn't work, so maybe something is misaligned?

Auto Transport Service
Back