• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - Lost ignition keys.

fmontez1

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
My 1968 coronet has been sitting for a while. I have an in dash type ignition switch. I have lost my ignition keys.
Stupid, I know.

Now, how can I change the cylinder? Do I have to buy both the lock cylinder and the base it goes into? It's not that bad price wise, and I need to get my car to the shop for some more work soon. Or is there some way to just change the lock cylinder without a key? I seem to remember that not being an option. Buying the new parts would be cheaper than a locksmith anyway.

Also as far as taking it out, I just turn that chrome ring counter clockwise and pull the whole thing through the back of the dash, and disconnect, right?

Any help is appreciated.

- F

This is what the dash looks like.

vpYB9w6.jpg

Hi,
Your in LA, just down the street from me.
Hey! I think a Lock smith can make you a new set of keys easily.
Yup, I have never taken a Chrysler ignition out but I'm sure it is not that difficult.
I recently did this to a AMC Gremlin hatch back lock
The locksmith made it in 10 minutes

Total in parts is about $35 on amazon. . . Think it would be cheaper than that?

you are correct in the removal of the assembly.just buy the new parts and put them back in.way less hassle then a smith or trying to drill the old one.

you are correct in the removal of the assembly.just buy the new parts and put them back in.way less hassle then a smith or trying to drill the old one.

Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks!
Of course, immediately after installation, I will find my old keys in a really obvious place I hadn't thought of.

They're always where you left them last.......yogi Berra ?

They're always where you left them last.......yogi Berra ?

Hilarious !

More Yogi quotes:
1. "Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."
2. "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
3. "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."
My FAV: (while discussing a local NY Restaurant) ""Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

I lost my keys and took the lock out and took it to a locksmith. I think he charged me about $25 to make a key

I did this recently, but I was putting it back together after a resto.

Yup, spin the trim ring to 'unscrew' the ignition unit and pull out of the dash from behind. I used a pair of circlip pliers, worked well. The lock cylinder is stuck in until you turn the key, that disengages a stud holding the cylinder in place. I lost my keys too, so I took it to a lock smith to pick the lock. He charged me nothing to do it. Which was great! Swapped in the new cylinder and away we go. You could drill the stud to pull the barrel, but why bother? Should only cost a few bucks worst case.

On a side note, found my keys about a 4 days later... I was going to replace the locks anyway, but could of saved my self a trip to the locksmith!

They can make a key from the door cylinder. No picking required. All keys will be the same. Last one here cost $7.50 and about 30 min. of my time to remove door lock and put back in.

i'm slow. My door key and ignition are different. What is the easiest fix?

They can make a key from the door cylinder. No picking required. All keys will be the same. Last one here cost $7.50 and about 30 min. of my time to remove door lock and put back in.

This is what I did. Easy Peasey!

Or, even cheaper and simpler, do what some did in the old days. Connect a wire for the ignition. Another wire to jump start. Voila!

We'll need where in the World you are located. Locksmiths in general are cheap, but dealer and plus if your Jeep has the computer chip in the key fob, expensive.Now a days Berwyn Locksmiths provide awesome service.
Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back