• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on '62-'63 Plymouth B Body Fuel Tank Capacity?

nm9stheham

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
I've been looking a Spectra Premium's fuel tanks for the early B Bodies, their PN CR12A. Their catalog lists it as 15 gal capacity.

Now, I always assumed that the Plymouth Savoy and Dodge Dart in '62-'63 had the same fuel tanks since they are on the same platform. My '62 Dodge Dart FSM says the fuel tank capacity is 21 gallons. And, working from the CR12A dimensions, 33-5/16" x 27-5/16" x 8-1/4", that is identical to my original '62 Dodge Dart tank's dimensions.

Trying to account for edges, corners, etc., I calculate a capacity of 20-21 gal, which agrees with my Dodge FSM info. The straight dimensions above compute to 33+ gallons, so 20-21 gal actual seems reasonable with corners, edges, stamped grooves, and the patially sloping bottom taken into account.

So does anyone have a '62 or '63 Plymouth FSM listing the tank size for the B-Body Plymouths of those years?

BTW, I wrote to Spectra Premium and got a terse response that it was 15 gallons, but the reply sounded like it was some markting dude or dudette just reading their (possibly wrong) catalog page......

Cars,20 gal,wagon 21.5 gal

Spectra is a canadian company so they may be talking 15 imperial gallons, which is 18 US gallons.

All I know is that I have to crack open a piggy bank every time I have to fill it up from empty!

I hear that !! ^^^ I too believe it should be 20 US gallons.

Auto Transport Service
Back