• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on 69 Plymouth turn signals...

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
69 GTX.
Noticed the left turn signals stopped working today. With a short walk around, I can hear the turn signal relay under the dash working and the left rear turn signal works.

What stopped working is the left dash indicator light, left fender mounted turn signal and the left front turn signal/parking light.

Right side all work fine.

Could a burned out bulb cause this? I'm at work without my wiring diagram so I am just thinking of what could be the issue.

Thanks

could be ground on the 2 front lights. My chally had a problem like that and it was a bad ground on front valance. good luck and please inform us what it was.

I would replace all bulbs first. Just did that in my 69 bee, the right turn indicator stopped working, half of the time it would blick slow. Found out the front turn bulb looked good on the outside but was actually junked. I bought a box of bulbs so I replaced all.

Could be a coincidence that two bulbs out at the same time, but I doubt it. Flasher is cycling so it sees a bulb load, but only rear lights.
Clue is dash indicator and front not lighting.
Let me look at the schematic and get back to you.

Turn signal Molex connector looking like pin 1 feeds front left signal bulbs and dash indicator. Pin 6 feeds rear bulb.
Thinking out loud here, the turn signal switch has to disconnect brake signal to flash bulb. Therefore the switch itself has to have two parallel contact for front and rear indicator bulbs.
I'll place my bet on the turn signal switch.
Possibly a loose wire revit to pin 1 of the Molex connector.
A solder flow of the revit may be the fix.

sounds like a ground or a bulb......

I had the same issue on my charger for the hood turn signals.....it was a grounding issue...

I would replace all bulbs first. Just did that in my 69 bee, the right turn indicator stopped working, half of the time it would blick slow. Found out the front turn bulb looked good on the outside but was actually junked. I bought a box of bulbs so I replaced all.

I'll checks bulbs first. No issues with slow blinking or indicator low glow.
Turn signal Molex connector looking like pin 1 feeds front left signal bulbs and dash indicator. Pin 6 feeds rear bulb.
Thinking out loud here, the turn signal switch has to disconnect brake signal to flash bulb. Therefore the switch itself has to have two parallel contact for front and rear indicator bulbs.

I'll check it after I check the bulbs. Maybe get in there and wiggle it. I haven't touched it in a while.
sounds like a ground or a bulb......

I had the same issue on my charger for the hood turn signals.....it was a grounding issue...

Thanks, I have some ground leads I can connect to the housings to see about a bad ground.

Ground-always first thing. Sometimes shining up the bulb base and/or solder base works also. (Don’t ask why I know!)

Molex connector?? Is this in the turn signal switch? Or the pin connector under the column?

6 pin connector from turn signal switch.

6 pin connector from turn signal switch.

Ok. What color is pin 1?

You know....this happened because you fixed the radio :) And the comment I made at lunch about everything working sealed the deal lol.

Got it!

Replaced bulb, no change.
Grounded socket to chassis, no change.
Wiggled 6 pin connector under dash, got my turn signals back! I'm going to double check the connections in the morning to make sure they are tight.

Thanks for the help!

Got it!

Replaced bulb, no change.
Grounded socket to chassis, no change.
Wiggled 6 pin connector under dash, got my turn signals back! I'm going to double check the connections in the morning to make sure they are tight.

Thanks for the help!
DeOxIt is your best bet!

I like to use 100% cotton pipe cleaners soaked in DeOxIt and scrub the blades. Then flush the lugs with a good soaking.

Still could be a loose crimp, or a loose rivet on the turn signal switch.

Got to keep things working so when I buy the car it will be turn key only!

Ok. What color is pin 1?

You know....this happened because you fixed the radio :) And the comment I made at lunch about everything working sealed the deal lol.
Schematic shows Pin1 as LGN (light green). Looks like a splice either at Pin1, or in that branch. D10 branch to the dash indicator and D6 branch to the front bulb.

The turn signal switch contacts are riveted to the wires. Often the rivet will lightly corrode, or come loose on the switch. If cleaning the 6 pin Molex does not work, and the lugs are tight there, then try the wiggle test. Could be a loose crimp on Pin1 of the Molex.

I've fixed many turn signal switches by scraping the head of the rivet, a little rosin flux paste, and oh so light heat and solder flow. The plastic can melt easily.

Schematic shows Pin1 as LGN (light green). Looks like a splice either at Pin1, or in that branch. D10 branch to the dash indicator and D6 branch to the front bulb.

The turn signal switch contacts are riveted to the wires. Often the rivet will lightly corrode, or come loose on the switch. If cleaning the 6 pin Molex does not work, and the lugs are tight there, then try the wiggle test. Could be a loose crimp on Pin1 of the Molex.

I've fixed many turn signal switches by scraping the head of the rivet, a little rosin flux paste, and oh so light heat and solder flow. The plastic can melt easily.

The light green pin was pushed out of the connector. I was able to get a pick up there and push it back in. Signals work like new.:thumbsup:

And my antenna will be here tomorrow!

What an easy fix.
That's a great car you're going to sell me.

Auto Transport Service
Back