• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Ignition Wiring

It had a MSD 7al-2 that was wired straight from the battery on a toggle switch. Car wouldn’t start or shut off unless the toggle switch was on/off. It was all temporarily wired behind the passenger seat because of lack of room under the hood for that big ignition box. This was all done with the carb still on the car. Only wires running through the firewall was to the distributor and the Blaster coil. I didn’t see where there would be any connection between IGN 1 and IGN 2 with that setup. If it was, I ripped it all out and started over. Hopefully that makes sense. Jay

Sorry, I haven't read your previous reply about the toggle switch!

You can link the ign1 and ign2 circuits anywhere, but tipically the ballast wires is the preffered spot!

Sorry, I haven't read your previous reply about the toggle switch!

You can link the ign1 and ign2 circuits anywhere, but tipically the ballast wires is the preffered spot!
No problem. The ballast wires have a single blue wire on one side, and a combined blue and brown wire on the other. Do I combine all three, or just the blue wires? Thanks

The combined wires is the coil signal ( blue ) along with the ign2 ( brown ) coming from ign2. The blue wire alone is Ign1. You can simply combine all 3 and use the blue wire arriving to coil to feed anything you wnat from there.

A jumper wire between female plugs will make the same job. No need to splice them together.

Also a modified ballast just for the looks, removing the resistor from the rear groove and replacing with a wire inside the ceramic groove

The combined wires is the coil signal ( blue ) along with the ign2 ( brown ) coming from ign2. The blue wire alone is Ign1. You can simply combine all 3 and use the blue wire arriving to coil to feed anything you wnat from there.

A jumper wire between female plugs will make the same job. No need to splice them together.

Also a modified ballast just for the looks, removing the resistor from the rear groove and replacing with a wire inside the ceramic groove
Thank you! I bought a wiring diagram, but was still confused on which wire went where. That makes sense now. That gets me one step closer to seeing if I did everything correctly to fire up soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back