• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on NHRA Super Stock & Stock class wedge motors

JackpotJim

Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
I watched a few of the Driver Interviews with Bobby Fazio videos he posts on YouTube from the staging lanes and pits at NHRA National events and was surprised by the RPM's some of these guys are turning with their B & RB Mopar wedges. Anywhere from 7800 to 8400 rpm through the traps. As far as I know you can't run aftermarket blocks in Stock or Super Stock class so are these guys really turning these high RPM's on 2 bolt main blocks with a girdle and or main studs? Never realized they were spinning their motors that high.
64 Plymouth Max Wedge

I doubt they run them that high in stock. In S/S the rules are a lot looser. And yes, to run on the record they zing em. The matainence is quite high. As is the risk of parts failure,
Doug

Wow…. That is spinning it! I became comfortable with 7000 in my 400 block last year, and thought that was high. 8400? Damn!

You can use non assembly line blocks in stock eliminator. I don't know if any are NHRA accepted for BB mopars. The hot ticket for a fast 305 is a bow tie block, a stock 305 block won't work.

Edelbrock heads are approved for a 440+6
There is an aluminum head approved for a 340 but they need lots of work to make them legal.

@GTX JOHN and @440sixpackracer will be able to expand on this subject.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back