• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on switching to Saginaw power steering pump.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I had been fighting with finding a seal kit for my old TRW pump so I decided to switch my 67 coronet to a Saginaw pump, Just ordered a BB bracket for the Saginaw , I have a good used Saginaw pump now also with a V belt pulley on it prob late 70s to early 80s pump.
Will my pressure hose off the TRW pump work or do I need a a new pressure line/ hose ? I was not sure if the pump end now will be metric ?? and if I need to get a hose built with SAE fitting on the sector end and metric on the pump end ?
Thanks for any advice.

The pressure and return lines are different. For the pressure line, I took the pump fitting and steering gear fitting to my local Deere dealer and had a 1/4 inch single wire hose made, better quality than Chinese aftermarket. For the return, I got a different nipple for the gear and run a piece of 3/8 fuel line. Just about any Napa or farm equipment dealer should be able to make up a pressure hose.

I had been fighting with finding a seal kit for my old TRW pump so I decided to switch my 67 coronet to a Saginaw pump, Just ordered a BB bracket for the Saginaw , I have a good used Saginaw pump now also with a V belt pulley on it prob late 70s to early 80s pump.
Will my pressure hose off the TRW pump work or do I need a a new pressure line/ hose ? I was not sure if the pump end now will be metric ?? and if I need to get a hose built with SAE fitting on the sector end and metric on the pump end ?
Thanks for any advice.

Be aware! I use the Saginaw pump on my 383 and if the brackets you purchased are like mine, which they probably are, you will need a hydraulic shop make you a pressure line and you will possibly find that you have interference with the left motor mount. I have searched to no avail for a banjo fitting to bring the pressure line off the pump outlet at 90 degrees to clear the front face of the upper motor mount bracket. You can try raising the pump up but be aware that the size of the pulley on the pump will determine how close the drive belt is to the underside of the water pump. You may have a different pump than mine ( mine is Type 1 as opposed to Type 2) so if your installation goes off without a hitch, please let me know how you did it. If you've discovered a place to mount the pump that does not cause interference with the water pump or right motor mount I'd surely like to know your method. Newer pumps prefer proper power steering fluid as opposed to tranny fluid so make sure the hoses you use are compatible with the fluid you use - your steering gear won't care but the pump clearances are meant for particular steering fluid. Make sure your pump is of the "high pressure" type as some Saginaws only put out 800 psi for racks rather than steering boxes. Stay in touch, I'd like to know your progress.

I put a Saginaw on my 69 using factory bracket and bought the fitting to make the original hose fit. I'll see if I can find the company I bought it from but I know they specialized in brackets and pulleys.

Thanks guys, Yatzee I ordered my bracket from Classic Ind. Once it shows up I will start the change out and see how things line up and let you know.
My used pump is a press on pulley model not a keyed one, Im not sure what its off of.
We have a back room full of parts most is GM stuff so I don't get much out of there LOL.

PRND21 & 747, Thanks guys.

Bouchillon performance is where I got mine. This will make a saginaw line from a later mopar fit your box.
Screenshot_2016-11-29-07-04-39.png

Thanks for any advice.

Take a look at this setup for ideas on mounting the pump a bit higher and away from things it could interfere with. I like this setup except for the fact the drive belt is off the water pump pulley. I could probably make this style of bracket my self or find it cheaper in steel. My pump sits lower and the bracket came from Bouchillon - there's got to be a better mount out there somewhere. I use strictly JIC fittings as opposed to aluminum AN (industrial and cheap) and run hydra boost brakes and I like the routing of all hoses just so/so. I run a 6 1/2 pulley and the belt never slips even though the 4 groove crank pulley that drives it is 7 1/4.

http://www.cvfracing.com/Chrysler-Big-Block-A-C-System-p/440-ac-system.htm

Don't let the link fool you, these guys show setups for all configurations.

Thanks 747 , that fitting will help.
Thanks for the link Yatzee, pretty cool set up.

Once my bracket from classic ind. shows up I will see how its all going to line up.

Auto Transport Service
Back