• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick RMS question

Car #4

Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
I replaced the rear main seal in a 440 the other day. How critical is it to put a little oil on the seal before installing it? I have everything buttoned up and missed doing that. I haven’t put the oil back in the engine yet. Wondering if I should redo it all.

I replaced the rear main seal in a 440 the other day. How critical is it to put a little oil on the seal before installing it? I have everything buttoned up and missed doing that. I haven’t put the oil back in the engine yet. Wondering if I should redo it all.
If memory serves rite ive done 2-3 and never lubed (felpro neoprene I believe) but others will chime in

1. If you leave it as is, nothing may happen negatively, or it will fail and you will have to redo it at the cost of a new seal
2. Or you could redo it and maybe save the cost of a new seal.

I say leave it as is.

If the pan is still off just squirt some in and around the seal. I personally never put a seal in dry. I usually use a little assembly lube or a light film of oil

If the pan is still off just squirt some in and around the seal. I personally never put a seal in dry. I usually use a little assembly lube or a light film of oil
The pan is on but I wondered about using something like Fluid Film and with the straw squirting a little up onto the shaft from the back side, rotating it bit by bit to get all the way around.

Auto Transport Service
Back