• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Race weekend this weekend .

Tex013

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey all .
Back to racing this weekend . Another round of the National Drag Racing Championship . Racing @ Sunset Strip in Mildura Victoria over the 1/8 a regional track .
This is afternoon / evening racing due to the heat . I know some of you guys are still shivering . See attached pic , is in Celcius.
Unfortunately i dont think there will be a livestream .
Mildura is a 11hr tow for me . We dont have a nice interstae system so its dual cariageway south for about 4.5/5 hrs then 2 lane blacktop , single lane each way , for the rest of it through semi outback .
22 cars in my class , Super Street , no box. Due to a cancelled event i have fallen out of contention for the western conference but this events also pay eastern conference points and that will really help me there .

Tex

Screenshot_20240306_142936_BOM Weather.jpg

I know the temp is high. But I'd kill for those water grains and barometer. Actually pretty decent air.
Doug
Doug , yes air is normally pretty good . First time I raced there in summer I thought i'd slow with the heat but ran as fast as normal . It seems with the really low humidity its less of a problem . Ran a couple weeks ago @ Sydney Dragway was 102F but 128 grains so DA was up around 4000+
I do have new race suit pants from Pro1 which are lighter than my old ones so hopefully that will help .

Tex

Well the weekend is run and done .
Did not go quite to plan .
Weather was baking hot , up to 108 degrees , as we raced from 4.00pm till 11ish when it cooled to a mild 90 degrees . So very hard to keep car cool , didnt need a warm up as by the time i drove 100meters to stage lanes Plymouth was fully warm and trans temp was even up at 150
Track was good car ran mid 6.60s . Qualified #4 of 19
Had a suprise in Q4 as the crankshaft belt pulley came off as i finished the burnout . Got that fixed up enough to continue .
Then struggled with reactions and went out in rnd 2 of 5 after dropping it dead on with a 7 .
I think I might need to go back to the transbrake to get onto the last bulb , rather than a count .
Anyway I got it back to work and have fitted a spare underdrive pulley for the short time as weather will now start to cool . I use March Performance pulleys so will need to order the standard size .

Tex

I switched to watching only the bottom bulb years ago. It was tough to get used to. But in the end it’s been far more consistent. Never had a transbrake.
Doug

I switched to watching only the bottom bulb years ago. It was tough to get used to. But in the end it’s been far more consistent. Never had a transbrake.
Doug
So, how do you adjust reaction time?
Do you leave as soon as the last yellow comes on or is there some timing involved?

Doug
Doug .
With my converter even though it stalls @ 6000 over about 2000 i find i am concentrating more on the brake than tree. I am only leaving @ 1800 or 2000 choice dependent footbrake .
A bit more testing to come

Tex

6200 stall. Leave at 2800-3200 depending on the tree. The higher the rpm. The quicker the light. Most times 3200 will put me in .020s. Depending on track rollout that can get to .005 or so red.
Doug

6200 stall. Leave at 2800-3200 depending on the tree. The higher the rpm. The quicker the light. Most times 3200 will put me in .020s. Depending on track rollout that can get to .005 or so red.
Doug
Doug .
Yes tried higher and yes quicker rt . Have used tbrake before . Might simply be @ 3800lbs needs more especially with 4.1 gear and 30" radial.
Will post run sheets monday i left them at work

Tex

Here is the runs from the weekend .
Q4 first pass Sunday track was tighter a few of us picked up.

Tex

20240318_074846.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back